In modern society many people suffer from burnout syndrome. Often they confuse this state with depression, weariness. No one is immune from emotional burnout. If every day seems to you as a bad day, if you feel yourself helpless, and completely worn out, you may be in the group of risk. So, what is this burnout syndrome?
At first this term was used to describe the medical stuff – doctors and nurses, whom, as a consequence of daily sacrifice themselves for others, eventually exhaust the internal resources – “burnout“.
Nowadays this term is applied to all workers, regardless of the profession. But workers wiht a great number of human-human interactions are especaially exposed to this syndrome.
– you have a great number of meetings, unfinished deadlines, unnecessary things, distracting from work;
– experience everyday stress, connecte on your work place – conflicts with colleagues, nagging boss, bad emotional climate in the office;
– you trying to do too much work;
– you take everything spoken too personally, overreact for egging on, jokes;
– have problems on your workplace;
– spend very busy life.
There are different classifications of burnout stages, but the most common is the next one:
– You enjoy your work and emotionally involved in it.
– Situation demands you to work very actively for a long period.
– You finish one work in extremely short period and start another project without rest.
If you feel chronic fatigue, loss of energy, overloaded, you are tired and drained most of the time, frequent headaches bother you, you noticed changes in appetite or sleep habits.
You start to withdraw from responsibilities, isolate yourself from others, procrastinate, it takes longer time to get things done. It is hard to concentrate, appear sluggishness and lack of creativity.
You may distance yourself from another people, find your job extremely negative and frustrating.
You lost your confidence, become self-doubt, helpless, trapped, feeling alone in the world, lost your motivation, become cynical and negative, lost your sense of accomplishment.
5. Breakdown of cognitive function, motivation, creativity.
6. Psychosomatic reactions
Sleep disturbances, gastro-intestinal disorders, cardio-vascular disorders, susceptibility to infection, sexual disorders, intake of alcohol and drugs.
Warning signs and symptoms of burnout
Development of burnout takes a long period of time. It is impossible to go to sleep normal and wake up with burnout syndrome. But if you will not pay attention to your body and mind signals, it become your reality.
If you will not pay attention to those signals, it will go from bad to worse. Burnout syndrome isn’t a verdict, when you noticed first bells of it you can prevent it’s progression!
For prevention of burnout you should consider both modifications in the working environment (prevention of circumstances) and also improvements in the your ability to manage stress (behavioural preventive measures).
Some of the behavioural measures are:
- improvements in dealing with stress,
- the learning of relaxation techniques,
- the delegation of responsibility (learning to say “No”)
- hobbies (sport, culture, nature),
- trying to uphold stable partnerships/social relationships,
- frustration prophylaxis (reducing false expectations).
Religion and spirituality also have preventive function.
Workplace-related prevention are:
- creation/preservation of a ‘healthy working environment’ (e.g. time management, communication style of leadership),
- the recognition of performance (praise, appreciation, money),
- the training of managers (“key role” of the boss in burnout prevention).
JiJi.ng resresent some tips to prevent burnout syndrome
- Begin the morning with something pleasant and relaxing. Spend at list 10 minutes just for you – jump around the bed with children, meditate, draw stretches, kiss your partner, read favourite book.
- Start healthy way of life – eat healthy food, doexercises, sleep enough. In addition for improving your mood you will get a healthy body. At first times it will be difficult, but you can ask you family or friends to do this with you. How long you didn’t spend time with them preferring your job?
- Manage your time. Don’t be afraid to say “no”, don’t allow to shift to you somebodie’s work. Say “yes” only “yes” to the things that you truly need to do.
- Don’t forget to take a break!
- Nourish your inner child. Pleasure from little things is a powerful antagonism to burnout. Try to do something new, begin to run, find interesting hobby. Choose activities that have nothing to do with work.
- Learn how to cope with stress. Even if you have no burnout syndrome, stress managing will be very useful in any case.
Burnout syndrome is not only individual’s problem. Organisation also should take care of its employees.
Regular medicine and psychological examination of workers’ health should be held. If there are a number of specialists with burnout syndrome, all organisation will suffer from their inactivity and discharge from office. The point is in wise management, regular psychologist consultations for all stuff and creating normal conditions for work.
If you can not stay on your work anymore, don’t panic! Use JiJi.ng to find another one.
You already got brnuot syndrome? Stay tuned, in further our blog will give you several advises how to undergo it!
JiJi.ng wishes you good and productive day.