Kunu is a traditional Nigerian drink with an extraordinary taste. Once you taste kunu and feel its nutty taste and spicy flavor, you’re guaranteed to fall in love with this refreshing and authentic drink.
While you can try kunu at many restaurants and while visiting family members and friends, knowing how to make kunu at home will let you enjoy its taste every time you want. Check out the easiest recipe for kunu drink!
Improve the quality of your life with the Jiji app
1. Benefits of kunu drink
When talking about health benefits of kunu, it’s important to know that there are actually several kinds of this popular drink. The most widespread variety is made with millet, although you can also try making kunu with rice and maize.
Millet-based kunu drink can improve your health in a few ways. First, it’s very rich in fiber and helps your digestive system work better, speeding up your metabolism.
Second, kunu is known to act as a muscle relaxant, which is great for working out or long physical work. Third, nursing mothers can use kunu drink to increase the flow of milk.
Read also: How to use apple cider vinegar
2. How to prepare kunu
In order to make approximately two liters of millet kunu, you’re going to need:
- 2 liters of water
- 4 cups of millet
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- Half of a sweet potato
- 2 tbsp of ginger
- Cloves to taste
Here is a step by step guide that will teach you how to make kunu drink.
- Rinse the millet several times to get rid of all the stones and debris.
- Put the millet into a bowl, cover with fresh water, and leave overnight for approximately 12 hours.
- Use a blender or pestle and mortar to blend together the sweet potato, ginger, and cloves.
- Mix the millet with the blended sweet potato to create a smooth and uniform paste.
- Separate the paste into two equal parts and put one part aside for later.
- Boil the water and pour into the first part of the millet, stirring thoroughly and leaving to chill.
- Add the second part of the millet, stir again, and let the mixture ferment overnight.
- In the morning sift the mixture, add sugar, and refrigerate for a few hours to get the most refreshing taste. That’s it – your kunu drink is ready!
3. How to make kunu aya
Aya, also known as the tiger nut, is a popular Nigerian produce, which is why it’s no wonder that kunu aya drink is another favorite of Nigerians. To make kunu aya, you’re going to need the following:
- Flesh and milk from 1 coconut
- 10 medium-sized dates
- 2 cups of tigernuts
- 1 piece of ginger
Soak the tigernuts overnight in fresh water. Put the soaked tiger nuts, coconut flesh and milk halved dates, and chopped ginger into a blender, add a little water and blitz. Strain the blended paste through a filter or cheesecloth, leave the milk aside, put the paste back into the blender with water, blitz, and strain again. Combine the two portions of milk and refrigerate before serving.
4. How to make kunun tsamiya
Kunun tsamiya is a drink that is made of tamarind. Tamarind has such a vibrant and flavorful taste that all you need to make this drink is tamarind, water, and a little sugar or honey to sweeten the drink.
Soak the peeled tamarind in boiling water, let the mixture sit for half an hour, strain, sweeten to taste, and serve the drink chilled.
5. How to make kunu geda
Kunu geda, or kunu gyada, is a variation of kunu drink made with rice, tamarind, and groundnuts. Soak the rice and tamarind in separate bowls of water. In the meantime, roast the groundnuts, peel them, and blitz with water in a blender.
Combine the groundnut paste with rice and cook on low heat until the rice is tender. Serve with tamarind juice and honey for sweetness.
Explore new ideas with the Jiji app