There are many things that new parents may feel confused or even frustrated about: baby feeding, sleep, and development are always a serious issue even for experienced moms and dads. One of the most pressing topics is the question of baby clothes.
Shopping for a new baby is often quite a challenge, as you have no idea what you’ll need and how much clothing and other items are necessary. Luckily, with our helpful guide, you’ll know exactly baby which things to buy before birth.
Shop for baby clothes on Jiji.ng
1. New baby checklist
Although dressing your baby is an important part of becoming a parent, there is much more that needs to be ready before the baby arrives. While you’re still waiting for the baby to grace your home, make sure you’ve stocked on the following items:
- Baby crib + hard mattress
- Bedding set and side protection
- Dresser with a changing desk or separate changing pad
- Plastic baby bath
- Car seat for newborns
- Bouncer or baby swing
- Hooded towels
- Burping cloths
- Bottles with nipples
- Bottle cleaning brush
- Diapers and wipes
- Electronic thermometer
- Baby body wash, cream, and powder
2. What clothing to buy for newborn
Now that you’ve purchased everything from the checklist above, time to move on to the most complex phase of the baby shopping process: buying the clothes. The question every new or expecting parent asks themselves is:”How many baby clothes do I need in each size?”
One of the first things you’ll learn about babies once you become a parent is that newborns grow up pretty quickly. If your baby is born at full term and has a healthy weight, there is a good chance that she will grow out of the newborn-sized clothing pretty fast. This is the minimum of baby boy clothes you can get in the smallest size available:
- Onesies or rompers: 7. Baby clothes tend to get dirty pretty fast, so there is always a possibility you’ll go through 2-4 clothing changes a day.
- T-shirts: 3. In case your baby is born during the heat, even a lightweight onesie may feel too hot, in which case it’s better to keep the baby in a t-shirt and a diaper.
- Hats: 2. Newborns can’t hold their body temperature very well, and hats prevent them from getting too cold.
- Socks: 5 pairs. Small babies need to wear socks for the same reasons as hats, and baby feet don’t grow as fast, which is why 5 pairs of socks will last you for a few months.
- Sleeping sack: 1. It’s dangerous to cover a newborn with a blanket due to the risk of suffocating, but in order to keep the baby worn and prevent her from waking too often, get a sleeping sack and let her wear it at night.
- No-scratch mittens: 2 pairs. Newborn babies often scratch themselves, which is why you should cover up their fingernails until they turn about 1 month.
- Special occasion clothes. Even though newborn babies spend most of their days at home in onesies and rompers, it’s a good idea to get some special occasion newborn baby clothes: for example, a baby dress for a girl and a shirt + trousers set for a boy.
3. Where to buy baby clothes
Knowing which type of baby clothes you need is only the first step on your way to creating an ideal wardrobe for a newborn, as knowing where to do your baby shopping is equally important. It’s not uncommon for baby girl clothes to be overpriced, which is why you risk spending a lot of money on the clothes that will only last for up to two months.
The best place to shop for baby goods is an online marketplace where people just like you sell the items they no longer use – for example, Jiji, which will help you save a whole lot of money on baby clothes. Before starting your shopping, create a baby clothing checklist using the suggestions we made above.
Buy the cutest baby girl dresses on Jiji