Plantains are one of the best-known kinds of produce in Nigeria. Visually plantains are very similar to bananas, but while bananas are fruits and can be eaten raw, plantain is considered to be a vegetable and has to be cooked before eating.
Although plantains are a very popular ingredient in Nigerian cuisine, not everyone knows about plantain health benefits and what it can do for your body. Check out the most important health benefits of unripe plantain right now!
Improve your health with the Jiji app
1. Nutritional value of plantain
It would have been unlikely for plantain to become a mainstay of local Nigerian cuisine if it wasn’t for its outstanding nutritional value. 1 cup of raw plantain, which is approximately 150 grams, contains the following:
- 180 calories
- 2 grams of protein
- 47 grams of carbs
- 0,5 grams of fat
- 3,5 grams of fiber
- Iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium
- Vitamins A, B6, C, E
When the plantain is cooked, its nutritional value slightly changes: it becomes richer in calories and carbohydrates, while its vitamin and mineral count, as well as fiber content, decreases. Still, the nutritional value of cooked plantain makes it an essential part of a balanced diet.
2. Health benefits of plantain
Over the years, plantain has achieved recognition for its amazing abilities to improve our well-being. Thanks to being rich in various nutrients, this vegetable possesses valuable healing properties. Here are the vital plantain health benefits you should know about.
- We all know how important calcium is for our health: after all, it’s the main building element for bones, teeth, hair, and nails, but if you don’t eat lots of dairies, it’s very hard to achieve the optimal calcium intake. This is where plantain can help anyone, especially children, as it’s quite rich in calcium.
- Vitamin E, which is believed to be the most essential vitamin for beauty, is found in large quantities in plantain. Consuming plantain on a regular basis will help you achieve glowing, healthy skin that every lady is dreaming of.
- The fatty acids contained in plantain have a positive impact on every part of our bodies, but it’s especially valuable for the digestive system. It helps prevent serious gastrointestinal conditions like ulcers, and have proved to be effective in being an additional treatment for existing ulcers.
- Your cardiovascular system can also greatly benefit from the plantain flour health benefits. Hypertension (high blood pressure) and atherosclerosis, which are the two biggest threats to our cardiovascular health, can be efficiently treated with a plantain-based diet.
3. Unripe plantain for weight loss
There are many ways to lose weight and get your dream body, but a balanced diet that is rich in vegetables is by far the best one. Unripe plantains are rich in fiber, which allows you to feel full without overeating and is great for your digestion. Eating plantain in soups and stews, especially when it’s paired with proteins like chicken or fish, will help you lose excess weight quickly and safely.
4. Unripe plantain in pregnancy
Pregnant women need to watch their menu especially careful: not only do they require more vitamins and nutrients while they’re expecting, but it’s also important to know that not all products can be consumed during pregnancy.
Luckily for any pregnant ladies, plantain is absolutely safe to eat while you’re pregnant. Moreover, it can benefit your pregnancy in several vital ways. First, the dietary fiber of unripe plantain can help you get rid of constipation and other digestive problems. Second, the high calcium content of unripe plantain is a great way to improve the state of your bones, teeth, hair, and nails. Finally, Plantain is rich in folic acid, which is a valuable nutrient for mommies-to-be.
Live a healthy life with the Jiji app