Guinea corn, or sorghum, as it’s known in many parts of the world, is one of the most valuable edible plants grown today in Nigeria. Guinea corn is very resistant to even the worst weather conditions, which makes it the ideal plant to grow in Nigerian soil.
Besides its excellent farming qualities, guinea corn is also great for anyone’s diet. It can be eaten whole, but usually, sorghum is dried and turned into flour, which is then used in cooking.
Find out about the benefits of guinea corn and the best ways to use it.
Buy thousands of high-quality goods from agriculture and foodstuff on Jiji
[otw_shortcode_button href=”https://jiji.ng/agriculture-and-foodstuff/guinea?utm_source=blog_jiji&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=guinea” size=”large” icon_position=”left” shape=”square” color_class=”otw-red”]Click for price[/otw_shortcode_button]
1. Health benefits of guinea corn for adults
Like many other Nigerian pantry staples, guinea corn is valued not only for its delicate and distinctive taste, but also for its many health benefits. Here is how sorghum can help you feel better:
- Guinea corn is one of the most nutritionally dense foods and is filled with vitamins and minerals. B-vitamins, calcium, potassium, magnesium, copper, and iron are only a few of the nutrients you can find in sorghum.
- Guinea corn makes the perfect diet food for two reasons. First, it’s incredibly rich in protein, which is the primary building material for your body. Second, sorghum contains huge amounts of dietary fiber, which helps you feel fuller without overeating.
- Digestive health can be significantly improved by including sorghum into your everyday menu. The high content of dietary fiber in guinea corn soothes various digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea, and bloating.
- The phytochemicals contained in guinea corn have proven to be quite effective at naturally lowering the LDL or bad cholesterol level in blood. At the same time, sorghum increases the level of good cholesterol, preventing a variety of cardiovascular diseases.
- Diabetes, one of the most common conditions of the 21st century, can be prevented with the help of guinea corn. The flavonoids contained in guinea corn regulate the glucose and insulin levels in the blood by preventing the body from absorbing excessive amounts of starch.
2. Health benefits of guinea corn for babies
Many Nigerian moms have already turned to guinea corn as one of the first solid foods to give to their babies. There are many reasons why sorghum should be included in every baby’s diet, and here are some of them:
- The protein and vitamins contained in sorghum are as good for the babies as they are for adults. As a true nutritional powerhouse, guinea corn can supply your baby with everything needed for healthy growth.
- Underweight babies often have delays in their physical and psychological development. If your baby is having trouble putting on healthy weight, introduce guinea corn into their diet. Eating sorghum on its own or as Kunu Geida will help your baby reach milestones faster.
- Brown pap, one of the most popular baby foods in Nigeria, is most often made with guinea corn, which maximizes its health benefits for babies and promotes healthy growth.
It’s worth noting that while there is a lot of research supporting the idea of feeding guinea corn to babies, the side effects of guinea corn for pregnant and breastfeeding ladies have not been studied enough, so it’s best to stay on the safe side and not eat too much sorghum when you’re expecting or breastfeeding.
3. How to use guinea corn
Now that you know how to give guinea corn to your baby as brown pap or other baby-friendly dishes, you’re probably wondering how to include it into the adult menu. Well, one of the most common ways to eat sorghum is to turn it into flour, which then can be used in baking, making porridge, and cooking delicious breakfast pancakes.
There is also a popular welcoming drink made with ground guinea corn, water, spices, and shea butter. Moreover, guinea corn can be successfully included into casseroles and various garnishes. As you can see, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the taste and multiple health benefits of guinea corn!
Buy the freshest food with the Jiji app