Nigerian cuisine is very diverse and has all kinds of dishes and ingredients imaginable. An essential part of the Nigerian cuisine are the various snacks that are eaten by kids and adults on their own or with other dishes.
Kuli Kuli in English has several names: peanut balls, German stones, or the rock. Find out how to make Nigerian Kuli Kuli right now!
Cook with the freshest ingredients you find on the Jiji app
1. Ingredients for Kuli Kuli
Kuli Kuli may be the easiest Nigerian snack ever with the shortest list of ingredients! See for yourself, as here is the ingredients list for making your own Kuli Kuli.
- Peeled groundnuts – 2 cups
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Dried ginger – 1 tsp
- Groundnut oil
To prepare Kuli Kuli you’ll also need a couple of common kitchen tools: a blender or food processor, several plastic bowls, a muslin cloth, and a non-stick frying pan.
2. How to make Kuli Kuli
The traditional preparation of Kuli Kuli is a super effortless process that has just a few steps and requires little of your time. Here is how to make Kuli Kuli the traditional Nigerian way.
- Roast the groundnuts to give them a golden color and salt them lightly.
- Put the groundnuts and dried ginger into the food processor and blitz until the mixture becomes creamy and homogeneous.
- Strain the groundnuts through a piece of muslin cloth to get rid of excess oil and achieve a dry texture.
- Put the strained peanut mixture into a bowl, add the black pepper and mix well. Form the groundnut mixture with your hands into equal-sized balls, sticks, or other shapes.
- Heat a small amount of groundnut oil in a non-stick pan and fry the groundnut balls on two sides until they become golden brown. You can add a special flavor to the Kuli Kuli by adding onions or dried herbs to the frying oil.
- Your Kuli-Kuli is ready to be served! Eat it on its own, with hot and cold beverages, or grind and sprinkle it over salads and main courses.
3. Health benefits of Kuli Kuli
Surprisingly for many Kuli Kuli fans, this snack is actually pretty good for your health. Most of the nutritional value of Kuli Kuli comes from the groundnuts, although the dried ginger also plays its part. Here is what Kuli Kuli can do for your health.
- Groundnuts have the ability to lower the bad cholesterol levels and promote the production of good cholesterol, keeping your blood vessels and heart healthy.
- Groundnuts are famously rich in protein, which makes them an essential food product for young children who are still growing and adults who want to be fit.
- Vitamin E, which is contained in groundnuts in large quantities, is the most important nutrient for skin health that keeps it moisturized and wrinkle-free longer.
- Everyone knows about the importance of folic acid for fertility and the development of a healthy baby during pregnancy, but not many people know that a big share of folic acid can be effortlessly consumed with groundnuts.
- The nutritional value of groundnuts and its vitamin and nutrient content is so high that they are believed to be one of the best snacks for sustaining energy.
Stay healthy and shop on the Jiji app