Fried groundnut has so many uses in Nigerian cuisine that any kitchen can’t be imagined without this valuable ingredient. Normally fried groundnuts are eaten as a snack, added to salads and main courses, or turned into delicious groundnut butter.
How to fry groundnut at home? There are actually numerous ways of doing it in your kitchen, and today you’ll learn the most popular ideas on how to fry groundnut in Nigeria.
Shop top quality groundnut in Nigeria on Jiji
1. How to fry groundnut with sand
Sand-frying the groundnuts is almost exclusive to Nigeria, and the flavour of the nuts that were fried using the sand method can’t even be compared to other recipes. Here is what you’ll need:
- Shelled groundnuts
- Fine sand
- Frying pan
- Wooden spatula
Follow this tutorial to make your own sand-fried groundnuts:
- Wash and separate the spoiled groundnuts from good ones.
- Put a frying pan on medium heat, pour the sand and allow it to heat up for up to 3 minutes.
- Add the peanuts to the pan and fry them until they reach the desired colour. You may have to take out one groundnut once in a while and peel it to check the colour. Stir the groundnuts constantly to avoid burning.
- When you turn off the stove, the groundnuts should be slightly underdone, since they will continue cooking even without heating due to the extremely hot sand.
- After the groundnuts and the sand have cooled off, start taking out the nuts in small portions, peeling them, and putting them into a bowl or container for serving.
Many people are used to eating salted groundnuts. So, how to fry peanuts with salt? Simply add 1 teaspoon of salt to the groundnuts at the start of the cooking process to give them a unique flavour.
Another popular peanut snack is roasted groundnuts with oil. How to fry groundnuts with oil? You’ll need about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for every cup of peanuts. Cook the peanuts using the stir-fry method – they will be done sooner than in other recipes. You can fry the groundnuts with salt, chilli pepper, onion or garlic powder, or any other spices.
2. How to fry groundnuts in oven
If you want to know how to fry peanuts but wish to make it better for your health, your best option is doing it in the oven. Here is what you’ll need:
- Shelled or unshelled groundnuts
- Shallow baking tray
Follow these steps to make oven-roasted groundnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash the groundnuts and remove any spoiled or rotten ones. If you’re making unshelled groundnuts, choose the ones that don’t rattle when you shake them.
- When the groundnuts are completely dry, spread them out in a thin layer in the baking tray.
- Put the tray into the oven.
- The cooking time is 20 to 25 minutes for unshelled groundnuts and 15 to 20 minutes for shelled groundnuts.
- Stir the groundnuts a couple of times while they’re being roasted.
- Take the tray out of the oven, leave to rest and cool for 10 minutes. Eat the groundnuts immediately salted or unsalted, or store them in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
3. How to fry groundnut in microwave oven
Are you wondering how to make groundnut without any hassle? Try microwaving the groundnuts to make your favourite snack! Here is what you’ll need:
- Glass baking tray
- Microwave oven
Follow these steps to make microwave-roasted groundnuts:
- Prepare the groundnuts, dry them completely and spread in a thin layer in a glass baking tray. Add two teaspoons of softened butter and stir.
- Microwave on the highest setting for 2 minutes, take the tray out and stir the groundnuts. Repeat the 2-minute roasting and stirring cycles until the groundnuts are almost done.
- Cook for a total of 10 to 12 minutes, depending on how powerful your microwave oven is and how dark you want your groundnuts to be.
- Let the groundnuts cool down after roasting for 10 minutes and serve.
Check out some other posts about groundnut recipes and health benefits:
Cook with fresh ingredients and cool appliances you can find on the Jiji app