Oha soup is a common dish in the South East areas of Nigeria. It`s a lot like the bitter leaf soup, but the most prominent ingredient of Oha soup is the Ora leaves that give the soup its unique taste. You can cook this soup only in its season cause Ora Leaves are not to be found all year round.
The majority of Nigerian families love this yummy substantial dish. However, not so many actually know how to prepare Oha soup properly.
Simply try out this Oha soup recipe and you will start cooking it all the time!
We are also going to take a look at how to prepare Oha soup with Achi with other ingredients!
Enjoy life to its fullest with Jiji!
1. How to cook Oha soup: the ingredients
Ora Soup and the Bitterleaf Soup taste different to such an extent that that it is almost impossible to believe it’s a single ingredient that makes the difference.
The traditional recipe for Oha soup normally incorporates Cocoyam thickener that you can replace with Achi or Ofor.
Anambra people know how to cook Oha soup with palm kernel oil whereas Imo state tribe will tell you everything about how to prepare Ora soup with Palm oil.
Ingredients for Oha soup:
- Ora leaves;
- 8 smallish corms cocoyam;
- 3 table spoons of Red Palm Oil;
- Meat: best cut beef and cow tripe;
- Fish: Dried Fish (Cod);
- Chilli pepper, salt and crayfish for the yummy flavour;
- 2 bouillon cubes;
- 1 teaspoon of Ogiri Igbo.
- Ora (Oha) is a very special vegetable that is impossible to substitute with anything.
- If cocoyam corms are not available, replace it with cocoyam flour or potato flour.
- Ogiri Igbo giving the soup its unique taste is an optional ingredient.
2. How to make Oha soup: before you start
- Mince the crayfish and pepper.
- Clean and boil the cocoyam corms to softness. Peel them and make a smooth paste out of them.
- Shred the Ora (Oha) leaves into very small pieces with your hands. This prevents the leaves from darkening that may occur if you use a knife.
3. How to cook Ora soup: the directions
- Boil the cow tripe and all the kinds of dry fish in 1 a small amount of water (litre of) till they are well done. When done cow tripe starts curling on the cuts.
- Wash the meat and add to cow tripe. Keep on cooking until it’s done, and then crumble 2 bouillon cubes into the pot and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Place the pepper, ogiri Igbo and some minced crayfish into the pot and boil for another 10 minutes. Then it’s the turn of the cocoyam paste and the palm oil.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook on top heat until all the cocoyam lumps are totally dissolved. If you find the soup too thick, simply pour more water.
- Finally go the ora (oha) leaves and everything should be left for 5 more minutes.
- Salt, stir and you are done!
- It’s best to serve with Garri (Eba), Semolina Fufu, Amala, Cassava Fufu or Pounded Yam.
4. How to cook Oha soup with Achi, Ofo, Uziza leaves – video recipe
OHA ORA SOUP WITH OGIRI RECIPE: INGREDIENTS LIST INCL.) INGREDIENTS Oha/Ora vegetable Ukasi/Afang leaves (optional) Uziza (optional) Beef/meat Stock fish Onion Crayfish Egusi (optional) Ofor (thickener) but you can use achi or cocoyam as a thickener) Salt Seasoning cubes Pepper Ogiri (optional) Oil and Water
5. How to cook Oha soup with Egusi
http://www.kolawoleajayi.co.uk. This video will show you how to make Nigeria Egusi Soup. This Nigeria food is mostly enjoyed with Eba , Pounded Yam or Amala. Making Egusi soup is a must watch video for any one willing to try oine of nigeria food recipe. http://www.kolawoleajayi.co.uk.
Install free updated Jiji app now – make shopping on Jiji as easy, comfortable & pleasant as possible!