Nigerian chicken curry sauce is a fantastic and authentic dish that is rarely served on its own – usually, chicken curry sauce is used to elevate the flavor of rice, pasta, potatoes, and other side dishes. As always, there are many chicken sauce recipes, but we’ve picked the best ones for you to try. Find out how to prepare chicken sauce the way Nigeria loves it!
Find the best ingredients and tools for your cooking with the Jiji app
1. How to make chicken sauce
Want to know how to prepare chicken sauce for white rice? Then first check the ingredient list to make sure you have everything you need and are ready to learn how to prepare chicken sauce stew.
- Chicken (breast, thighs, drums, or mixed) – 1kg
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Scotch bonnet pepper – 1
- Bell pepper – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Chicken stock or water – 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 1/2 cups
- Corn flour – 2tsp
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt, pepper, chicken seasoning to taste
Now that you know what’s needed for the sauce for chicken, you’re ready to find out how to prepare chicken sauce with flour. These steps will teach you how to make chicken sauce for rice.
- First wash the chicken, pat it dry, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chicken seasoning, and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the vegetables. Wash the peppers and dice them into 1x1cm cubes. Clean the carrot and dice it into long chunks. Chop the onion. Peel and chop the garlic.
- In a frying pan heat up 1tbsp of vegetable oil and fry the chicken on both sides until it’s golden brown. Take the chicken out of the pan.
- Remove any excess oil, return the chicken to the pan, pour the stock or water along with the onion and garlic, add some dry pepper, cover the pan and cook the chicken on low heat until it’s done.
- In a separate pot heat up the coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Add the chicken along with the stock, add more salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Use 1-2 teaspoons of cold water to dissolve the corn flour. Quickly mix the corn flour into the coconut sauce to make it thicker.
- Add the prepared carrots, cook for 2 minutes and then add the peppers. Cook for 1-2 minutes and turn of the heat. Allow the chicken sauce to rest under a lid for up to 10 minutes to finish the cooking process and make it even more flavourful.
That’s it! Now you know how to cook chicken sauce. Once you know how to prepare sauce for white rice, you can add or remove the ingredients to achieve the taste you’ll find perfect at last.
2. How to make chicken curry sauce
The chicken curry sauce recipe came from the East and has a very distinctive flavour thanks to the curry spice. Curry sauce is definitely spicier than cream sauce for chicken, but it also works perfectly with white rice and other starches.
So, how to prepare chicken curry sauce? Well, this way of how to make Nigerian curry sauce isn’t that different from the traditional chicken sauce recipe. However, the base of this sauce is chicken stock instead of coconut milk, the flavour is added with the help of 1 tablespoon of curry, and the extra heat is provided by the chilli pepper. You can leave the carrots out of this recipe, but you can still add the diced peppers – just not as much as in the previous recipe.
While researching how to make sauce for rice, you’ve probably come across something called Chinese chicken sauce. You may be wondering how to make Chinese chicken sauce, but the truth is that it’s virtually similar to the first recipe, so if you know how to cook sauce with chicken, you’re already familiar with the Chinese variety of the sauce!
Learn even more delicious Nigerian recipes with these posts:
Stock your kitchen with the Jiji app