Ewa Agoyin is a delicious dish that is popular in every part of Nigeria. The traditional Ewa Agoyin recipe is perfect for bean lovers, but it can also make you love beans even if you weren’t a fan before. Find out how to cook Ewa Agoyin right now!
Buy fresh and tasty ingredients for your cooking on the Jiji app
1. Ingredients for Ewa Agoyin stew
While learning how to cook Ewa, you may be surprised to find that this dish is often referred to as a stew. In reality Ewa Agoyin is a combination of boiled beans and pepper sauce. Keep in mind that the sauce is the true star of this dish!
Here is the list of ingredients for the recipe for Ewa Agoyin:
- Red or white beans – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Bell pepper – 1
- Onion – 1
- Dried chilli pepper – 12
- Palm oil – 1 cup
- Dried crayfish – 1/4 cup
- Stock cubes – 2
- Fresh ginger – 2 tbsp
2. How to make Ewa Agoyin
The process of cooking Ewa Agoyin is divided into two parts: you need to cook the beans and the sauce separately.
1. How to prepare the beans
Follow these steps to make the beans for your Ewa Agoyin:
- Pour 6 cups of water into a large pot and put on high heat to bring to the boil.
- In the meantime, wash the beans thoroughly under cold running water.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the beans, reduce the heat, and cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are completely soft.
- Salt the beans to taste and mash them if you want to achieve an even creamier texture.
2. How to make Ewa Agoyin sauce
According to Ewa Agoyin lovers, the sauce is the most delicious part of the dish. Here is how to make Ewa Agoyin stew:
- Boil a little water and pour over the dried chilli peppers. Leave for a few hours, preferably overnight, to soak and become soft.
- Using a blender, blitz together the bell pepper and the soaked chilli peppers, adding a little water if necessary. Pour the pepper mixture into a sieve and leave to get rid of excess moisture.
- Heat up the palm oil in a pot. Add the chopped onion and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the onion is caramelized but not burnt.
- Add the rest of your sauce ingredients: pepper, stock cubes, ginger, crayfish, and salt. Cover with a lid and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce reaches a rich dark colour.
- Turn off the heat. If you want to make the sauce thicker, add 2 tablespoons of boiled beans and stir well.
- Put the beans into a plate, pour over a generous serving of Ewa Agoyin sauce, and serve!
3. How to serve Ewa Agoyin
This is the classic Ewa Agoyin stew recipe. This dish makes a great dinner, but if you cook it the night before, it can also become the favourite nutritional breakfast for your whole family, as Ewa Agoyin tastes fantastic when served over bread or toast.
Another popular way to make the Ewa Agoyin stew is to use a tomato-based sauce instead of a pepper-based one. To make it, blitz the tomatoes and cook them in a small pot until most of the water has evaporated, then continue cooking according to the traditional recipe.
Read about: toast bread recipe
Stock your kitchen with affordable appliances using the Jiji app