Family cars may seem boring, but only in case you don’t have a family yet. Then the question of accommodation the noisy active kids becomes very bothering, for large family cars with three rows of seats and huge luggage compartment are not the universal solution.
The budget you can spend for a new vehicle is significant as well. Buying cars on Jiji will help with the latter. Besides, do not forget about the huge selection of best used family cars you can find on Jiji.
Let’s make picking the best family car less complicated for you. Here you’ll discover the pros and cons of different types of vehicles and find some helpful ratings, based on family car reviews.
Car type and body
The experts admit that hatchbacks (only 5-door models), sedans, universals, compact vans, minivans, crossovers, and SUVs fit for family usage the most. As expected, each has a list of strong and weak points.
- Extra safety, reached thanks to the high steering flexibility, compact design, and wheels position.
- Big luggage capacity makes the car suitable for transportation of non-common luggage.
- Wide rear window with fair wieving angle.
- Noise isolation is much worse compared to sedans, where luggage compartment is divided from the interior.
- Carrying much luggage influence back viewing.
- High level of safety. In case a following car bumps into you, the luggage compartment will perform as a buffer.
- Protection from other objects in case of accident – nothing will appear inside.
- Big luggage compartment.
- The temperature inside or conditioning is not influenced by opening the luggage compartment door.
- Are not suitable for transporting luggage of big gabarites.
- Low potential of interior transformation.
- Increased weight, which provides stability on the go.
- Large luggage compartment.
- The possibility to transform passenger compartment.
- Shares disadvantages of hatchbacks.
Minivans and compact vans
- Spacious interior and 7-door modifications.
- The most spacious baggage compartment.
- Fair rear window visibility.
- Big dimensions influence agile handling in a bad way.
Crossovers and SUVs
- The most universal cars, suitable for drives in the city, to picnic, with kids kids alone.
- Roomy passenger compartment, especially with the third row of seats.
- Spacious baggage compartment.
- High level of safety.
- High fuel expense level.
- Poor cornering ability.
- The most expensive maintenance.
US Parents Magazine rating
According to the U.S. Parents Magazine, the list of top 10 family cars of the previous year looks like this:
- Green car – Chevrolet Bolt EV
- Most economical family car – Kia Soul
- Compact crossover – Subaru Crosstrek
- Compact sedan – Honda Civic
- Sedan – Hyundai Sonata
- Mid-sized crossover – Mazda CX-5
- Universal – Subaru Outback
- Compact SUV – Honda CR-V
- Best large family car – Chrysler Pacifica
- Best family SUV – Toyota Highlander
Forbes has conducted its own investigation and presented a different list of the best family cars. Price-quality relation was the main criterion. Along with it, the following factors were considered taken into consideration:
- a car should be suitable for both adult and teenage drivers
- safety system is able to protect passenegrs of all ages and body types
- the vehicle can carry much luggage
- all seats should be easy accessible
- 7-seat variation available
Chevrolet Captiva. This car is suitable for all purposes: city drives, long-distance travels, everyday purposes and active rest. In other words, Chevrolet Captiva is ready for everything. The passenger compartment is easily transformative. You can choose 5- or 7-seat version. The second and third row of seats can be hidden easily.
Dodge Journey. The vehicle is distinctive by the spacious passenger compartment, which can accommodate up to seven passengers with ultimate comfort. Besides, the model is equipped with on-board data gathering center, cruise control, backside parking system, engine auto control. The backseats are foldable.
Ford Galaxy is recognizable by cutting-edge technologies and unique design, first-class quality drive and high level of comfort. As of today, it is one of the most spacious and sophisticated 7-seat family cars.
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the compromise between the modern and classic design. You get a huge windscreen, lateral support seats, foldable third row of chairs, and the panoramic glass deck.
Renault Espace. Instead of a usual key, you get a card; instead of a dashboard, you get a display. The seats are moving and one can be even transformed into a table. More expensive complectation have received glass ceiling, screens built into headsets, DVD player etc.
Opel Zafira was designed specially for those, who sometimes have to take the entire kindergarten on the drive. This is an ordinary universal car, which looks harmonically among city cars and doesn’t’ make you nervous while moving on the highways. You can use two extra seats.
Kia Carens with two-liter engine spends 6 litres of fuel per 100 kilometers. It is the affordable and economical family car for 7 persons. Kia offers laconic design, hi-tech devices, and comfortable passenger seats.
Opel Zafira Tourer is noteciable by its elegant shapes, chromatic elements, and the diversity of wheel disks. Family drives have never been so stylish. This vehicle guarantees impressive premium class design, easy and flexible adjustments to your lifestyle, dynamic steering, and advanced safety systems.
Nissan Qashqai +2 was designed and produced in England. You can easily adjust the 3nd and 2nd row of seats. Luggage compartment is divided by a curtain. The car is equipped with panoramic glass deck.
Mazda 5 is more similar to sporty hatchback than a family car. This is a compact van of ghe second generation, which easily accommodates 7 people.