- 1. Igbo names and meaning
- 2. Yoruba names and meaning
- 3. Igala names and meaning
- 4. Nigerian English names and meaning
The name given to a newborn baby has great significance in every part of the world, but few nations take the names of their little ones as seriously as Nigerians. Take a look at this list of Nigerian names and their meanings to find the right one for your newborn!
Find everything you need for your baby and never overpay with Jiji
1. Igbo names and meaning
Igbo names go back centuries and are among the most historically significant ones for the Nigerian nation. Here are some of the best Igbo names for newborn baby boy, girl, and even twins!
1. Igbo names for baby boy
- Akachukwu – the hand of God.
- Akunna – Father’s wealth.
- Amaechi – who knows tomorrow?
- Anozie – we are settled well.
- Bunkechukwu – belongs to God.
- Cherechi – wait on God.
- Chibudom – God is my peace.
- Chibuike – God is strength.
- Chidera – you can’t change destiny.
- Chidozie – may God make it better.
- Chikanma – God is better than anything else.
- Chinaka – it’s up to God.
- Daluolisa – thank you God.
- Ebubechukwu – the greatness of God.
- Enyinna – his father’s friend.
- Igwebuike – strength in numbers.
- Jamuike – encourage me.
- Jidenna – hold on to your God.
- Kelechi – praise God.
- Nkenna – belongs to the father.
- Obiora – heart of the people.
- Onyeka – who is greater than God?
- Somadina – I will not walk alone.
- Urudinachi – there is gain in God.
- Zamekpere – answer my prayers.
2. Igbo names for baby girl
- Adaeze – daughter of the King.
- Azuka – confident.
- Chiamaka – God is good.
- Chikasimma – God is the best.
- Chinonso – God is near.
- Daluchi – thank God.
- Egoamaka – money is good.
- Febechi – worship God.
- Ginikanwa – what is greater than a child?
- Ifedimma – something good.
- Ijemma – good journey.
- Kambili – I shall live.
- Kanebinudo – let us live in peace.
- Kosoluchi – as it pleases God.
- Mmachukwu – beauty of God.
- Ndidi – patience.
- Ngozi – blessing.
- Nnenna – her father’s mother.
- Olanma – beautiful pearl.
- Oluebube – miracle.
- Sofuchi – there is only one God.
- Ugonwa – eagle’s child.
- Uzoamaka – beautiful way.
- Yagazie – things will be well.
- Zikachiha – show the greatness of God.
3. Igbo names for twins
- Chimsimdi (m.) + Chizaram (f.) – My God says I will live + My God answers me.
- Kobichukwume (m.) + Kodichukwume (f.) – Let God’s will be done + As it pleases God.
- Chizulukeme (m.) + Chimamanda (f.) – My God will never fail + My God is powerful.
2. Yoruba names and meaning
Yoruba names also have a lot of cultural and historical significance. You can come across beautiful Yoruba names all around the world – wherever there are Nigerian people.
1. Yoruba names for baby boy
- Abeo – the bringer of happiness.
- Abiola – born in honour.
- Adesola – crowned with wealth.
- Akin – heroic.
- Banjoko – don’t ever leave me.
- Damola – mixed with wealth.
- Esupofo – the devil has lost.
- Idogbe – child born after twins.
- Iles – messenger of the God.
- Jimoh – born on Friday.
- Mayowa – brings joy to the family.
- Mobo – freedom.
- Naade – born in royalty.
- Oba – King.
- Olabode – wealth has come home.
- Oson – summer.
- Sareola – on the path to getting healthy.
- Seye – honour.
- Sunkanmi – draw close to me.
- Tanimola – tomorrow is unknown.
- Tayo – happy boy.
- Temitope – worthy of praise.
- Tolulope – glory to the God.
- Tomori – we have seen a baby again.
- Yele – befitting to the family.
2. Yoruba names for baby girl
- Abeni – she is here.
- Abimbola – born into wealth.
- Abioye – born into royalty.
- Adeola – crown of wealth.
- Adunni – sweet child.
- Ayotola – joy is enough wealth.
- Digiola – reflection of wealth.
- Eniola – a person of wealth.
- Eriayomi – a testimony of joy.
- Fadekemi – pamper me with wealth.
- Idunnuola – happiness.
- Ikeoluwa – the care of God.
- Iretiola – anticipation of wealth.
- Mofeoluwa – I love God.
- Monifa – I am lucky.
- Motunrayo – I have seen joy again.
- Odunayo – year of joy.
- Olamide – my wealth has come.
- Oluwatobi – God is great.
- Omotola – a child is wealth.
- Simisola – relax in wealth.
- Titilayo – eternal happiness.
- Tiwatope – our situation is worthy of thanks.
- Yejide – image of her mother.
- Yeyetunde – mother has returned.
3. Igala names and meaning
Igala names are among of the most proverbial Nigerian names and meanings; they may be short or long, but there is a deep meaning behind each one of them.
1. Igala names for baby boy
- Aboh – to find out.
- Achemu – lamb producer.
- Atokolo – able to speak for himself.
- Edibo – royal guard.
- Enenyo – good person.
- Ichala – protector.
- Odoma – settlement.
- Okolo – helper.
- Orokpo – fearful tree.
- Unekwuojo – the will of God.
2. Igala names for baby girl
- Achenyo – God’s deed.
- Agefu – sees heart.
- Ajuma – born on Friday.
- Ele’Ojo – gift from God.
- Fitumi – amazed.
- Iganya – admirable.
- Ochonia – the fashionable one.
- Ojali – beauty.
- Onechojo – human is not God.
- Ugwane – evening greeting.
4. Nigerian English names and meaning
Even though there are hundreds of meaningful and beautiful Nigerian names for new parents to choose from, some parents go for names that are known internationally.
1. Nigerian English names for baby boy
- Albert – noble.
- Andrew – manly.
- Charles – man.
- David – beloved.
- Edward – wealthy guardian.
- George – farmer.
- Harry – house protector.
- Jack – God is gracious.
- Jordan – flowing down.
- Paul – humble.
2. Nigerian English names for baby girl
- Alice – of noble origins.
- Angelina – messenger.
- Caroline – strong.
- Christina – Christian.
- Diana – fertile.
- Elizabeth – oath of God.
- Hannah – grace.
- Katherine – pure.
- Lilly – innocence.
- Stephanie – victorious.
Shop for your whole family and save money with the Jiji app