Eggs are famously good for your health, which is why millions of people are used to eating eggs everyday. However, scientists have different opinions on how many eggs to eat per day. Find out how many eggs a day you should eat!
Buy top quality eggs in Nigeria on Jiji
1. Nutritional value of eggs
Those who wonder how many eggs to eat for breakfast, already know that in terms of nutrition eggs are hard to beat. They are a true nutritional powerhouse. This is what you’ll find in one medium egg:
- Calories – 63
- Total fat – 4g
- Saturated fat – 1g
- Sodium – 62mg
- Cholesterol – 186mg
- Carbohydrates – 0
- Protein – 6g
- Iron – 4% of the recommended daily amount
- Calcium – 2% of the recommended daily amount
- Vitamin A – 4% of the recommended daily amount
- Vitamin B2 – 15% of the recommended daily amount
- Vitamin B5 – 7% of the recommended daily amount
- Vitamin B12 – 9% of the recommended daily amount
- Folate – 5% of the recommended daily amount
- Selenium – 22% of the recommended daily amount
- Phosphorus – 9% of the recommended daily amount
If you’re looking for an answer to the question: “Are eggs high in cholesterol?“, the answer is yes, but that doesn’t mean you should immediately cut eggs from your diet! The truth is that for most people, the cholesterol they get from food does not elevate the cholesterol levels in their body – the liver simply starts producing less cholesterol to match the dietary cholesterol intake.
2. 5 health benefits of eating eggs
Given how much cholesterol in one egg there is and how often we’re told that cholesterol is bad for us, it’s easy to think that the nutritional value of eggs isn’t big enough to justify all that cholesterol. But there is more to the egg than you may think, and here are 5 most important benefits of eggs.
- Eggs not only have a neutral effect on the “bad” cholesterol levels, but also increase the production of “good” cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart diseases.
- The lutein and zeaxanthin contained in eggs have a huge positive effect on the eye health.
- Eggs are not just rich in protein, they also contain valuable amino acids that help your body use the protein the right way.
- Eggs are very filling and relatively low in calories, which makes the the ideal product for weight loss. How many eggs per day for weight loss should you eat? The recommended amount is 2 eggs for breakfast.
- Eggs are incredibly rich in vitamins and minerals, especially those that are hard to find in other everyday food products.
3. How many eggs should you eat in a day?
For years scientists have been telling us that given how much cholesterol in an egg there is, the amount of eggs, or specifically egg yolks, should be limited to 2-6 per week. However, there is not enough scientific evidence to back up this position.
Numerous studies have shown that people react in different ways to the cholesterol contained in eggs. For 70% of people, the cholesterol that comes from eggs has zero effect on the cholesterol levels in their body.
If you’re a healthy individual, you can safely eat up to 3 eggs a day. In case you’ve had prior heart and cholesterol problems, limit that amount to 1-2 egg yolks per day (you can eat more egg whites). How many eggs to eat per day to lose weight? As we’ve said before, 2 eggs per day is the recommended amount for losing weight.
Feel and look great with the products from the Jiji app