When dreaming about the best business to start with little money, most Nigerians immediately think of the food industry – specifically, a shawarma spot. A shawarma business doesn’t require an enormous investment, but it promises a pretty good return. Find out how to start a shawarma business!
Shop shawarma machines for every budget on Jiji
1. Shawarma business potential
Many of aspiring businessmen are looking for more prestigious business opportunities while overlooking the food business. However, shawarma can be your recipe for financial success, as it’s one of the most popular street foods in Nigeria right now.
On average, one serving of shawarma costs about ₦400 to make but can be sold for up to ₦2,000. It means that with a medium-sized investment and a good business strategy soon you can be counting profits from your blooming shawarma business.
2. The equipment you’ll need
The biggest part of your investment into opening a shawarma business is the different equipment you’ll need.
The range of equipment depends on the type of business you want to launch: a shawarma stand requires a minimum of tools, while a shawarma restaurant needs additional expenses on cooking equipment and furniture. Here is what you’ll need for a typical shawarma business:
- Shawarma machine
- Toaster/grill for toasting the shawarma
- Pans and pots
- Refrigerator with a freezer
- Cooking utensils
- Food containers
- Branded packaging and uniforms
- Bar fridge for beverages
You can also increase your income if you offer additional snacks and drinks to go with your shawarma. To do this, you will also need a deep fryer to make fries, a coffee machine to make coffee, an ice cream dispenser, or anything else you have in mind.
3. Create a business plan
One of the most crucial aspects of starting shawarma business is a shawarma business plan. A well-written business plan will serve as your detailed guide to your own enterprise, complete with strengths, weaknesses, and potential challenges.
In order to create a viable business plan, you will also need to study your competitors. Find out what makes their business work and adapt some of the things you find for your own business. If you don’t have experience with creating business plans, you can always hire someone who does it professionally.
4. Find the right location
A location for a new business is often the thing that makes or breaks the success of the enterprise, and it’s especially true for a food business. The key requirement for the success of your shawarma business is how well it’s located.
As always, the best location for a food business is a place with a lot of foot traffic. It can be a market, a business centre, a recreational area, or a busy road. Advertise your business in the local media and choose a striking design for your joint so that people don’t miss it.
If you want to get ahead of your competition, you can also advertise your shawarma business online and even arrange deliveries of your product. If you want to know how to start an online business with shawarma, start by posting ads on Jiji for millions of Nigerians to see!
5. Stand out
Keep in mind that you’re not the only one who sees the potential in a shawarma business, and with dozens of shawarma joints in a single town, standing out may be a challenge. However, we believe that these four factors can give a boost to your business:
- Price. Set a price that still gives you a sizeable profit but is slightly lower than the price offered by your competitors.
- Taste. People may be attracted by the low price and advertisements, but if they don’t like the taste of your product, they won’t be back for more. Experiment with flavours and recipes to find your ideal one.
- Branding. Everything in your shawarma stand needs to be branded, from the cook’s apron to the packaging, so that the customers know it’s not just another nameless food joint.
- Hygiene. You may be surprised, but one of the most surefire ways to succeed in a food business is to achieve a spotless state of your stand, which includes fresh products, clean surfaces and utensils, and a neat-looking cook.
This shawarma restaurant business plan is a good place to start a business that can be your true calling!
Buy everything for your business on the Jiji app to save money