The low-carb diet has become one of the most popular ways to lose weight and get in shape recently. However, most of the Nigerian classic dishes are sources of carbohydrates. Check out this list of non carbohydrate foods in Nigeria and get slim without feeling hungry!
Buy top quality meals and drinks for the whole family on Jiji
1. Why are carbohydrates important?
Carbohydrates make up most of our daily food intake for one simple reason: they are the source of energy for every part of the body. Carbohydrates are essential for the correct functioning of our bodies, which is why your diet can’t consist only of zero carb foods.
Nevertheless, it’s important to keep the intake of carbs to a minimum if you’re trying to lose weight. The excess carbs you consume don’t disappear from your body – they turn into fat storage that is very hard to get rid of. Fill your diet with low-carb foods to see the difference in how you look and feel!
2. Low carb foods in Nigeria
Changing your diet to include fewer carbohydrates can transform your body. Here are some non carbohydrate foods recipes and ideas for each meal you eat during the day.
Breakfast is considered by many to be the most important meal of the day and you should never skip it if you don’t want to overeat later that day. Check out these non carbohydrate foods breakfast ideas:
- Eggs are always a good idea: you can eat them boiled, poached, fried, or in an omelette with veggies, protein, or cheese.
- Pap, which is the ideal breakfast food for people of all ages, including babies. Pap is low in carbohydrates and is very satiating.
- Moi-moi made from beans, which are naturally high in protein and contain very little carbohydrates. Pair moi-moi with pap or eat it on your own.
- Beans porridge are another way to take advantage of the many nutritional benefits of beans without consuming too many carbs.
Lunch is eaten in the middle of the day, which means it needs to be not only nutritious and healthy, but also easy to make. Here are some low-carb lunch ideas:
- Unripe plantain porridge, which is made with fresh leaves, fish, and unripe plantains that are very rich in iron and won’t fill your body with excess carbs.
- Pepper soup, made from protein such as chicken or fish, is a very healthy meal that is also rather easy to make and will easily get you through the day until dinner.
- Vegetable soup is an ideal lunch meal: it’s very rich in protein thanks to the meat, and the vegetables are a source of good carbohydrates for your body.
- Semo is a great way to make any soup lunch more filling – made with corn flour, it has the same health benefits as pap and tastes great with any meal.
Dinners are usually a time when the whole family sits together for a meal, which you should make something that will satisfy everyone in the family. Check out these ideas for high protein low carb dinner recipes:
- Grilled protein takes just minutes to cook and is a carb-free, low-fat way to enjoy chicken, fish, beef, or other meats. Serve it with vegetables to increase the nutritional value.
- Nigerian jollof is an all-time classic, but if you substitute white rice for brown rice and add more protein, you’ll get an even more diet-friendly dinner meal.
- Fura, made from millet, is a low-carb and fun dinner idea that will delight the whole family, especially the kids.
- Egg stew is a very rich source of proteins from the eggs and vegetables, and with almost zero carbohydrates, it’s the perfect dinner food.
Stock your kitchen with tools and food products from the Jiji app