A duplex is one of the most popular types of housing today in Nigeria, and everyone knows it’s better to construct your own duplex than to buy it from someone.
Unfortunately, the expenses for building a duplex change constantly and the cost of building a duplex in Nigeria 2018 is already very different from the cost of building a duplex in Nigeria 2017. Find out how much does it cost to build a duplex house right now!
Find the ideal land plot for your project on Jiji
1. How to calculate the cost of the construction
Before you know exactly how much will it cost to build a 5 bedroom duplex in Nigeria, you need to know how to calculate the cost of your project. Here are some tips and things to take into account for the calculation:
- Choose your desired house size. The more rooms you want your duplex to have, the bigger the budget for your project will be: 6 bedroom duplex house plans in Nigeria are the most expensive ones to bring to life, but a 4-bedroom duplex will be a much more affordable project.
- The location of your future home will influence not only your quality of living, but also the cost of the construction. Even a city like Lagos, where construction costs are famously high, you can still find neighbourhoods like Ikorodu or Agege, where building materials, land, and labour cost less.
- Even if you plan to do the majority of the work yourself, you’ll still need at least three professionals to assist you, which will also increase the construction budget. The three professionals are a surveyor, a lawyer, and an architect.
- It may be tempting to buy the cheapest building materials available in the market, but in the end you may regret this decision – for example, when your roof starts leaking in a couple of years. That is why high quality building materials should make up a large part of your budget.
- When budgeting your construction project, it’s important to keep in mind the additional fees, which includes the legal and agency fee, which are normally calculated based on the land plot cost, and the cost of signing and securing your legal documents, which is a fee that is only paid in Lagos State.
- Research other similar projects to get a better idea about the cost of your own construction. The easiest way to do it is to calculate the cost per square foot – if your cost is drastically different from the cost of the projects you found online, it may be a good idea to rethink your project.
- Always leave some room in your budget for unexpected expenses like delays in construction or growing prices for building materials.
2. Cost of building a 4-,5-,6-bedroom duplex
Now that you know the factors influencing the cost of your construction project and realize that the cost of building a 4 bedroom duplex in Abuja will be much higher than a construction project in less expensive parts of the country, let’s find out how much your project is going to cost.
The price of the construction in a popular area like Abuja and Lagos starts at ₦18 million, including the cost of the land plot, for a 4-bedroom duplex. A 5-bedroom duplex will cost you around ₦22 million, and the price of building a 6-bedroom duplex is ₦25 million and up.
Build your dream house for less with the Jiji app