Meatpie is a traditional dish for many countries around the world and one of the favorite foods for Nigerians. If you don’t know how to make Nigerian meat pie, it is the best time to find out! Scroll down to learn about the ingredients for making meat pie, how to make meat pie pastry from scratch, even how to bake meat pie without oven, and finally pick your favorite meat pie recipe.
If you don’t know how to prepare meat pie, this recipe will become a real finding. Meat pie is a perfect dish for a family feast, like Christmas, birthday, or any other special occasion. Actually, it is quite easy to cook – you can enjoy it every weekend!
- 8 cups of flour;
- 2 tsp of baking powder;
- 500 g of margarine;
- a pinch of salt;
- ½ cup of cold water;
- 2 Irish potatoes;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 onion;
- 500 g of meat, minced;
- 2 tbsp of oil;
- 1 tsp of thyme;
- 2 tbsp of flour;
- 1 cup of water.
- Peel the vegetables. Cut them into tiny pieces.
- Heat oil in a cooker. Cooking meat constantly stirring until it becomes pale.
- Add thyme. Pour in water. The mixture will start boiling soon. Then add carrots, onions, and potatoes. Keep cooking.
- Dissolve 2 tbsp of flour in ½ cups of water. Pour into the frying pot and mix with the filling. Add some salt to taste.
- Prepare the dough – mix the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, margarine. Mix everything thoroughly until the ingredients blend. The mixture will remind breadcrumbs. Add cold water and mix stiff dough. Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the stove. Meanwhile, take a metal tray. Cover it with cookery parchment paper or rub margarine on the inside so the pie doesn’t stick.
- Roll out the dough and make several cuts. Take a piece, roll it out, and remove the excess dough to leave a round form. Place the filling in the center, then distribute it evenly on one side. Fold the dough to close the filling. Press two edges tightly with a fork. Place it on a tray.
- Break an egg and beat it. Rub the egg on a pie.
- Repeat with the rest of dough to prepare several pies.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
With this recipe, you will learn how to make African meat pie that is more spicy. Besides, you need even less ingredients that for previous one. You can use a frozen dough from a supermarket or prepare it like in the previous recipe.
- 900 grams of ground pork;
- 1 chopped onion;
- 1 tsp of salt;
- 2 cups of water;
- 1 tsp of cinnamon;
- 1 tsp of cloves;
- 3 cups of mashed potatoes;
- 1 piecrust or prepared dough for 1 pie;
- 1 tbsp of milk.
- Mix pork, onion, salt, and water in a saucepan. Simmer under a low heat until cooked and liquid evaporates.
- Add spices and stir in well.
- Add potatoes and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Heat the oven. Meanwhile, put the pie crust on a tray and place the mixture over it. Then cover the filling with one more crust / piece of dough.
- Brush the top with milk. Prick with pork in several places.
- Bake for around 30 minutes.
If you want to learn how to make meatpie but don’t like to mess with dough, there is an option for you, too. There is an alternative for sticky dough – a pita! Sounds interesting, doesn’t it?
- 3 thin pitas;
- 800 grams of minced meat;
- 2 eggs;
- 200 grams of cheese;
- 1 onion;
- 150 ml of cream;
- a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grind up an onion. Mix the onion, salt, and pepper with meat.
- Fry on under a low heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Grind the cheese.
- Whisk eggs with cream, add some salt.
- Place the filling on pitas and roll them.
- Put pitas on a baking tray, forming a spiral.
- Pour egg mixture in and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 180*C for 20 minutes.
This is the answer to your question how to make meat pie without using oven. Yes, you can forget about baking – just prepare the appropriate dough for several smaller pies and fry them.
- 2 ½ cups of flour;
- 125 grams of butter;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 tsp of baking powder;
- 350 grams of minced meat;
- 2 potatoes;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 onion;
- 1 tsp of thyme;
- 1 cube of seasoning;
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil;
- Prepare dough mixture – flour, baking powder, salt, butter. Beat in an egg. Knead elastic dough. Set aside in a cool place for an hour.
- Prepare the filling: fry meat with vegetables for around 10 minutes, add spices.
- Cut dough circles and place filling on the middle of each. Press the dough edges well. Brush the tops with an beaten egg.
- Take a pan and pour in some oil.
- Cook on the one side, then flip to the other side when a pie turns brown. Keep cooking for about 15 minutes.
This alternative recipe will teach you how to bake meat pie without any dough. Well, it is not a traditional meat pie, but you’ll certainly love this one – easy to cook and absolutely delicious.
- 500 grams of chicken breast;
- 1 egg;
- 3 tbsp of soft cheese;
- 120 grams of cheese;
- 1 tomato;
- 1 bell pepper;
- spices (salt, herbs, pepper);
- favourite sauce.
- Grind chicken breast with a blender. Add an egg and spices. Mix everything well.
- Take a piece of cookery parchment paper. Distribute the even layer on the paper, creating a round form.
- Heat the oven to 180*C. Bake during 15-20 minutes.
- Take out and coat with sauce. Place other ingredients on top – soft cheese, tomatoes, bell pepper, and ground cheese.
- Place back into oven for 15 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Some cooking tips
- If you want to make meat pie filling moist, add ground onions. You can also stew meat with juicy vegetables, like tomatoes.
- You can experiment with ingredients for meat pie. Meat, onions, and potatoes are the core. If you want to add some tomatoes, bell peppers, favorite spices, greens, beans etc. – feel free to add them.
- If you are desperate to know how to make meat pie dough soft, just add 1 tsp of baking powder. You can also use 1 tsp of baking soda and pour it with 1 tsp of vinegar.
- It is possible to prepare one big pie or several smaller ones from one portion of dough. You can use ready pie crust or hojaldre.
You may find numerous meatpie recipes – Finnish, Australian, Scottish and so on. Interestingly, they do not differ considerably. And nevertheless, we prefer to think about this simple and delicious food as traditionally Nigerian.
It is appropriate for every occasion, whether it is big holiday, guest reception, or simply cheat meal weekend. The recipes you saw above show all our cooking creativity. If you don’t like to prepare dough, you can find a way to experiment with ingredients.
Now all that’s left is to pick one of the recipes above, check out your fridge and cabinets for ingredients, do some shopping if needed, and spend around an hour (yes, that little!) for cooking something special. No more wasting time – give a treat your family and friends.