We are used to thinking about makeup as a way for women to enhance their natural beauty and try new looks. However, men can also benefit from wearing makeup. Today more and more men feel free to wear makeup ranging from subtle to striking. Find out everything you need to know about makeup for men.
Shop affordable makeup products in Nigeria on Jiji
1. 3 reasons to wear makeup
Even if you’ve never seriously thought about beginning to wear makeup, there are at least 3 reasons why you should! Here are 3 things that will happen if you begin wearing makeup:
- Wearing makeup improves your confidence. Whether you have some skin imperfections you want to conceal or your face already looks flawless, you’ll feel even more confident with a little makeup.
- Getting to know more about makeup will give you more things in common with your loved one: you can discuss makeup and even exchange makeup products with your wife.
- Learning how to do more complex makeup looks will help you develop your artistic ability and taste.
2. What you’ll need
If you’ve decided to start wearing makeup, here is a bare minimum of makeup products and tools you’ll need:
- Concealer and foundation for correcting the blemishes on your face and achieving the most even skin tone. Look for longwear concealers and foundations with a subtle matte rather than dewy finish. Finding the correct tone here is everything!
- Eyebrow pencil or pomade, which allows you to achieve a natural yet striking look of your eyebrows. Go for a pencil if you have naturally thick brows or a pomade if you need to fill in the space between your eyebrow hairs.
- Mascara isn’t mandatory for everyday men’s makeup, but it significantly enhances the appearance of your eyes, making them appear bigger and your eyelashes more defined.
- Highlighter is used to avoid the flat and dull look of wearing bare foundation on your face. Apply highlighter wherever you want to light up when the light hits – your cheekbones, cupid’s bow, and the bridge of the nose.
- Beauty blender is the makeup tool most makeup artists swear by: it allows you to effortlessly apply foundation, concealer, highlighter, and any other creamy texture.
- Eyebrow brush is used for precise application of eyebrow pomade.
- If you’re more used to working with a makeup brush rather than a beauty blender, you’ll need a foundation brush, a concealer brush, and a special brush for highlighting.
3. How to apply makeup
Before you learn how to apply makeup products to your face, there is some preparation you should do:
- Thoroughly cleanse your face using a facial soap, foam, gel, or scrub. Rub your skin in circular motions to remove any dead skin cells and achieve a more even skin tone.
- Wet a cotton ball or disc in a toner and gently dab all over your face to lock the moisture in your skin and prepare it for the next steps.
- Apply a layer of moisturizer to your skin. For daily use, look for a moisturizer with a lightweight formula – it can be a gel or a thin face cream with SPF15 and higher.
Only when you’ve completed the previous steps, move on to applying makeup. Here is a step-by-step guide on makeup application for men from the makeup artist of Fenty Beauty, Rihanna’s top-selling makeup line:
Alright fellas, Fenty Beauty Global Makeup Artist, Hector Espinal, is here to teach y’all a thing or two about makeup. Whether you’re hitting the red carpet or just need a quick grooming tip, we got you!
Shop makeup products and thousands of other goods in Nigeria on the Jiji app