Cutting and sewing your own trousers is the best way to make sure your trousers fit you perfectly. However, many amateur tailors are intimidated by the process of trouser cutting. Here is a step by step guide on how to cut male trouser!
Shop trendy and affordable trousers for men in Nigeria on Jiji
1. Materials and tools you’ll need
So which equipment and materials will you need to create your first pattern for male trousers? Here is what you need to prepare:
- A pair of trousers that fit you like a glove
- A piece of paper large enough for the trousers
- Your fabric of choice
- A sewing machine
- A pair of sharp scissors
- Elastic string
- A pencil
- A piece of chalk or soap
A few tips for this step:
- If you don’t have special sewing paper and don’t know where to buy it, you can simply use an old roll of wallpaper.
- How much fabric will you need for your trousers? It’s hard to tell the exact size of the piece of fabric needed to sew trousers, but you can get a 5×1 meter piece and it should be sufficient for one pair of trousers.
2. How to cut the trousers
Ready to create your first mens trouser pattern? Follow these steps for the best result:
- Lay your sewing paper on the floor or large table. Fold your trousers in half along the crotch line with the front of the trousers facing upwards.
- Outline the trousers using a pencil and add 2 centimetres on the side of the pants and 1 centimetre around the waist and the bottom of the trousers.
- Fold the trousers in half again, this time with the back of the trousers facing upwards. Repeat step 2.
- Cut both patterns out of the paper. They will look largely similar, but their shape will still be slightly different.
- Take your fabric of choice and cut it into two identical halves. Fold each piece in half and place the two patterns on top of the two fabric pieces.
- Secure the pieces with pins and cut out the patterns from the fabric. You should end up with two sets of two identical patterns.
- Using chalk or soap, mark the future seams on the patterns, leaving 2 cm from the sides and 3 cm from the top and bottom of the patterns.
- Take one front and one back half of the trousers, turn them inwards, align them by the long side, and sew along that side.
- Next sew along the other side up to the crotch.
- Repeat step 8 with the other two halves of the trousers.
- Turn both trouser legs wrong side up and sew the rise on both sides.
- Hem your trousers on the bottom and the top. When hemming the top, leave a small opening for the elastic string.
- Put a safety pin into the elastic string and thread it through the waist hem. Sew the two ends of the string and then close the opening.
- Iron your trousers and they are ready to be worn! With this tutorial, you can create mens patterned trousers of all shapes and sizes – just make sure you’re using the right trousers for the pattern.
Upgrade your wardrobe for less using the Jiji app
Read about: how to cut and sew trouser