Even though you can buy apple cider vinegar from stores and markets, homemade apple cider vinegar is always better: that way you know for sure which ingredients you’re using. Find out how to make apple cider vinegar at home!
Find everything you need for health and beauty on the Jiji app
1. Apple cider vinegar ingredients
There are many apple cider vinegar recipes; some use sugar to speed up the fermentation process, while some don’t. Generally, making apple cider vinegar without sugar will take twice as long as with sugar, but today we’ll focus on the classic sugar-free recipe. Here are the required ingredients and tools:
- Apples – 10
- Large bowl
2. How to make apple cider vinegar
Even though the preparation process for apple cider vinegar is super easy, it won’t be until several months later that you’ll be able to taste your product. Here are the steps to making your first batch of apple cider vinegar.
- Wash and cut the apples in quarters without peeling or coring them. Make sure to wash the apples well in hot water, scrubbing the skin to get rid of any preservatives. Many people make apple cider vinegar from apple leftovers like cores and peels – if you’re making something with peeled and cored apples, don’t let the leftovers go to waste and turn them into vinegar!
- Let the apple quarters rest in an open space until they naturally turn brown.
- Place the apples into a bowl and cover with water. Don’t use a jar instead of a bowl – successful fermentation depends on the wide mouth of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a cheesecloth, but don’t secure it around the edges of the bowl – the vinegar needs to be able to freely release the gases and absorb oxygen.
- Put the covered bowl into a dark, warm place and leave for six months. Stir the apples once a week and put the cloth back on.
- After 6 months, take out the bowl. You will see a layer of scum on top of the apples – don’t worry, it’s part of the normal fermentation process. Slowly sieve the liquid into another bowl using cheesecloth.
- Put the apples into the new bowl, cover the bowl with the same cheesecloth, and leave in the same dark and warm place for another month.
- After the apple cider vinegar is ready, pour it into containers with a tight lid. Store in a fridge and use whenever necessary.
This is how to make apple cider vinegar. As you can see, this process is far from complicated, but it does require patience – approximately 7 months should pass until you’ll be able to use the vinegar.
3. How to make apple cider vinegar drink
Apple cider vinegar has numerous health benefits: it boosts immunity, improves digestion, and, most importantly, helps the weight loss process. Wondering how to prepare apple cider vinegar for weight loss? Here is the ultimate recipe.
To make an apple cider vinegar drink, combine 2 cups of water, 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon of honey. Mix in a tall glass, add a couple of ice cubes, and enjoy immediately. This is how to take apple cider vinegar for weight loss!
Shop high quality ingredients for your cooking using the Jiji app