BVN, or Bank Verification Number, is currently the most advanced way for Nigerian banks and financial institutions to verify the identity of the client. Want to know how to check BVN number whenever you need? Here is how to check BVN on phone and online!
Shop mobile phones for every taste and budget in Nigeria on Jiji
1. What is BVN
BVN was launched a little over 5 years ago, in February of 2014, in an attempt to minimize the possibility of various frauds with people’s bank accounts. BVN was designed to be as secure and impossible to get around the new technology.
Once you sign up to get your BVN, you will be able to use it at any bank you prefer. Even if you live outside of Nigeria, you are still able to get a BVN and use it for transactions involving Nigerian banks. There are many advantages to having a BVN, and the most important ones are the following:
- Speedy service – transactions are processed faster and more efficiently when you are using your BVN.
- Security – when your account is protected by the BVN, the chances of unauthorized access to your finances are non-existent.
- Universal access – just one BVN number is required to access services in any Nigerian financial institution.
2. How to get a BVN
If you want to learn how to check BVN but haven’t registered for the service yet, you will need to go through a simple procedure and finally obtain your BVN. Follow these steps to register for the BVN program:
- Choose any Nigerian bank you trust and often use for transactions.
- Request a BVN form during your next visit to the bank or access it online using the bank’s website.
- Fill out the form.
- The form needs to be submitted in person. Visit the bank on any working day and hand in your enrollment form.
- Once you submit the form, the bank employee will take your biometric data: thumbprints and facial data.
- You will receive an acknowledgment slip with the ID of your transaction.
- Within 24 hours you will receive your BVN.
3. How to check BVN
There are many reasons why you need to know your BVN – it can be requested from you at any time you want to use bank services. The good news is that there is no need to know your BVN by heart: you can learn it within a minute using any mobile or desktop device.
So how to check BVN online? The fastest way to know your BVN is to use a dedicated banking app from your bank of choice. As soon as you enter your login details, your BVN will be displayed in the top part of the page. This method works for most Nigerian banks.
If you’re wondering how to know your BVN using a mobile phone, you’ll be delighted to know that a single combination works for every service provider in Nigeria. It doesn’t matter if you want to know how to check BVN on MTN or how to check BVN on Airtel – the number remains the same.
Here is how to check BVN on Etisalat or any other Nigerian provider. Dial the combination *565*0# and press call. Please note that this request comes at a cost. You will be charged ₦20 for each request, even if you don’t have a BVN yet and your query comes back blank!
Improve your finances by selling stuff on the Jiji app