If you work in the office, a question “How should I organize my desk at work?” probably crosses your mind from time to time. Deciding how to organize your desk at home may be even more complicated because of a more relaxed atmosphere. Below you’ll find some desk organization ideas, hope they’ll be helpful.
Office organization tips and tricks
- Get rid of the things you don’t need. Do it regularly. Throw off used papers, hide the stationery you don’t use and everything that distracts your attention. Broken things should be repaired or also thrown out. Discipline is key to order.
- Define a proper place for each item. Don’t be lazy to put an item where you took it from.
- Keep the things you use the most frequently close. For example, a penholder should be always on the table, some other stationery – in the drawer, books – on the shelves.
- Prepare the labels. They are more useful than some think. Mark the boxes, folders, documents, etc. to find and manage everything quickly.
- Clean the table every evening. It marks that the work is actually finished. You will start the work more productively the next day if you don’t need to clean the mess.
- Do big cleaning-up from time to time. Take everything off the table, wipe it, leave only the essentials, and hide all the rest. You can add a notification to do it regularly.
- Keep a litter bin close. Even if you need to make a couple of steps to it, you may be annoyed to stand up and walk to it every time. Make sure you don’t pile the litter on the table.
- Scan or photograph documents instead of copying. In most cases, you don’t need paper versions. They just occupy the working space.
- Think of how to make it more convenient. Is it a corkboard or nice paper holders? Maybe colorful folders and clinches? Or a favorite photo?
- Don’t make it look boring. Clean doesn’t mean dull. Put a cup or a bottle for water, a plan, a mood board, a calendar or something else there.
Tips for arranging the computer space
- Keep the things you use frequently within arm’s reach – a notebook, pencils, and stickers.
- Table height, display angle and position, and keyboard should be adjusted for you specifically.
- The chair should be comfortable, with a chair back, preferably regulated.
- Space should be well-lit and well-ventilated.
Don’t forget about design
How to keep your desk clean and organized if you don’t like it and don’t feel cozy there? Quite difficult, right. It is not always possible to take control of the decorations and nice little things in an open space environment of big corporations.
If you work in a small office or are arranging a working space at home, take care of design, decor, and other important factors that influence your mood and performance. From temperature to postcards with motivational quotes – there are many things that help to make it perfect.
- Temperature. Keep a thermometer close to monitor the temperature in the room. Keep it around 22ºC – this is the most comfortable temperature mode for productive work. You may catch a cold if it is lower or works slower if it is higher.
- Color. Light universal shades are the best option – colors like white, beige, and cream make a room more spacious visually and reflect the natural light from the windows. It is better to use bright colors for details – boxes, lamps, etc.
- Light. It is important to combine natural, ceiling, and desk light. Choose LED bulbs, they don’t put a strain on your eyes.
- Chairs. Try not to use hard surfaces. If you don’t have a soft chair, put a pillow on it. Get a chair with armrests. It is good if you can regulate the height – it helps to avoid backaches in the future.
- Decor. Put a blackboard for notes and motivational messages under a table. Decorate the room with posters and photos. Replace the gloomy decor by ergonomic organizers and colorful textile boxes.
- Plants. Before you get any, notice that plants need proper care. Decide how much time you can spend on it. Mint, lavender, rosemary, and thyme will be perfect. And don’t forget to ask someone to water them when you go on vacation.
Home office desk ideas
Let’s wrap up the lecture by some home office designs. You can allocate an entire room for it or just a corner in another room, it doesn’t matter. Just make sure you like this part of the house because you are going to spend quite some time here.