Mermaid waves, also known as beach waves, are one of the most popular hairstyles for every hair type. Beach waves are a must-try for summer, but they also look fabulous all year long. Here is how to create mermaid waves on natural hair in a few simple steps.
Shop everything you need for hair beauty on Jiji
1. What you’ll need
Mermaid waves are a wonderfully effortless hairstyle. Some women use hair dryers, flat irons, or curlers to create the desired waves, but you can choose the heatless method of creating beach waves if you want to minimize the potential damage to your hair. To create mermaid waves from scratch, you will need:
Read more: Types Of Hairstyles For A Black Woman
- Curl cream
- Hair oil
- Hair clips
- Pick comb
2. How to create mermaid waves
Ready to rock your mermaid waves? Follow these steps for the best result:
- Blow-out your hair to prepare it for the remaining steps.
- Take a strand of your hair that is 2 cm wide and secure the rest of the hair with hair clips to get it out of the way.
- Apply a small portion of curl cream to the strand and coat the entire piece of hair with it.
- Separate the strand into two equal parts and flat-twist the strand until you reach about 50% of the length of your hair.
- Add a strand of the remaining hair to the two strands you are working with and finish the twist-out all the way to the ends of your hair.
- Repeat steps 2-5 for the rest of your hair and allow your twists to dry naturally.
- Carefully unravel the twists. To prevent the unnecessary frizz in your hair, apply your favourite hair oil to your hands before the unravelling.
- Using a pick comb, lift up the roots of your hair to add some volume. Style your hair the way you want or leave your mermaid waves completely natural.
Read more: Five Natural Oils That Nourish Your Hair
To make sure you completely understand the technique, check out this helpful video tutorial:
Hey Loves! I’m loving this look! Perfect for the girl that loves BIG HAIR! Let me know in the comments if you tried Taliah Waajid’s Curly Vurl Cream or any of her other products!
3. Mermaid waves on extensions
If you have always dreamed of long hair but growing our your own locks takes too much time, you can recreate the adorable mermaid waves using extensions! In this case, you will need a hair curler and decent hair curling skills. Make sure not to apply too much heat to your own hair and focus on the extensions instead. Here is a detailed video tutorial on how to do mermaid waves using extensions.
Beach waves are always in during the summer. In this video I will show you a quick and easy way to achieve effortless beach waves. The hair I used to create this look was provided to me by My Fantasy Hair these are 20″ Virgin Remy Human Hair Extensions in the color #2 Chocolate Brown.
Look gorgeous every day with the products from the Jiji app