We all know that lemon and lime are two of the most popular citrus fruits, but far fewer people know what is the difference between lime and lemon. These two fruits are different not just in appearance and taste, so now it’s about time to learn the difference between lemon and lime, health benefits and uses.
Buy top quality fruits in Nigeria on Jiji!
1. Visual difference between lime and lemon
The easiest way to tell the the difference between lime and lemon is to look at their appearance. Lemons are bright yellow in colour, larger in size and have an oval shape. Limes are green, perfectly round, and generally smaller than lemons.
Many people mistakenly believe that limes are actually just unripe lemons. That’s not true at all – lemons come from the evergreen Citrus lemon tree, while limes come from the hybridized Citrus aurantifolia. Know the difference between lime and lemon with pictures!
2. Taste difference between lime and lemon
It’s not as easy to tell the difference between lemon and lime simply by tasting them. Both fruits have a highly acidic taste and distinct flavour. However, lemon is naturally richer in sugars, which makes it taste sweeter than lime. Both lemon and lime taste fantastic in desserts, cocktails, and salad dressings.
3. Nutritional difference between lime and lemon
Even though lemon and lime belong to the same citrus family, there is a substantial difference between lime and lemon when it comes to nutrition. Find out what’s the difference between lime and lemon nutrition with this list!
- Lemon has 53mg of vitamin C per 100g, while lime only has 29g
- Lime contains 55IU of vitamin A, while lemon only contains 22IU
- Lemon contains 8mg of magnesium, while lemon only contains 6mg
- Lemon has 138mg of potassium, while lime only has 102mg
- Both lemon and lime have 0.6mg of iron per 100g
While the nutritional value of both lemon and lime is extremely high, the two fruits have a slightly different content of vitamins and minerals, which means your body will benefit from adding both of them to your body.
4. Health benefits of lime and lemon
Lemon and lime both have a number of valuable health benefits, and here are the most important ones:
- Thanks to the high content of vitamin C, lemon and lime significantly boost the production of collagen in the body. Collagen is responsible for repairing and replenishing every system in the body, which is why lime and lemon are indispensable for treating wounds, skin conditions, and hair loss.
- Lemon and lime are both high in fiber and low in calories, which makes them a perfect diet fruit for seasoning, salads, or even snacking between meals if you can handle the acidity. Plus, you can’t eat too much of these fruits due to their acidic taste, which means you’ll never overeat on lime or lemon!
- Anemia, or iron deficiency, is a very serious condition that can cause weakness, fatigue, light-headedness, and poor blood circulation. Lemon and lime not only supply your body with iron, but also improve the circulation of blood around the organs.
Improve your health with affordable products from the Jiji app