We all know about the importance of water for our health and beauty, but everyone at some point of their life has wondered: “How much water should I drink a day?” You may have heard different opinions on the recommended daily water intake, and now it’s time to find out the exact amount!
Buy water and other high quality drinks on Jiji
1. Benefits of drinking water
Everyone realizes that water is the source of life, but what exactly can it do for your health? Here are 5 biggest benefits of drinking water regularly:
- The hydration balance of your body has a huge effect on the brain function. Even minor dehydration leads to all kinds of brain problems, including memory loss, anxiety, fatigue, and mood swings. Failure to supply your body with water also leads to frequent headaches.
- Constipation is one of the most common digestive problems, and before you resort to medication, try to maintain a healthy water intake. Surprisingly enough, carbonated water has proved to be even more effective than regular water in the treatment of this issue.
- Sticking to the recommended water intake per day is one of the most important requirements for weight loss. Drinking plenty of water during the day helps you feel full without overeating and effectively boosts your metabolism.
- Passing kidney stones is one of the most painful sensations in the human life, and this condition is becoming more common. Luckily, you can lower your risk of developing kidney stones by drinking enough water.
- A healthy water intake has a drastic effect on your physical performance. If you have a physically demanding job, often work in heated conditions, or love to have intensive workouts, don’t ignore the importance of drinking lots of water.
2. How much water should you drink a day?
Now that you know why water is essential for your health, let’s find out the ideal amount of water you should drink in a day. You may have often heard that the recommended amount of water in a day is 2 litres. However, in reality that amount may differ from individual to individual.
There are many things to take into account when determining the amount of water to drink per day, including physical activity, age, weight, sex, and others. On average, a man should consume 3.7 litres of water per day, while the recommended amount for women is 2.7 litres.
Keep in mind that these amounts include all water consumed directly and from food. 20% of your water intake comes with food, which means the sheer amount of water to drink in a day is 2.2 litres for women and 3 litres for men.
If you’re wondering: “How many litres of water should I drink a day if my needs are different?”, increase your water intake in case you have a physically demanding job, you’re an athlete with a vigorous training schedule, you are often exposed to a heated environment, or you’re a pregnant or breastfeeding woman.
3. Can you drink too much?
Surprisingly enough, there is such thing as “too much water”. If you’re regularly drinking more water than your body needs, you may experience one or more of the common side effects:
- Frequent urination
- Clear urine
- Swollen feet and hands
- Muscle weakness
In case you experience any of those symptoms, try lowering the amount of water you take: for example, drink only when you’re thirsty, and not according to a schedule.
Maintain your health with the products from the Jiji app