Teeth whitening is one of the most popular health topics of all time, but most methods are either expensive or contain harsh chemicals that can hurt your dental health. Whitening teeth with charcoal has got to be the most affordable and easy ways to noticeably change the colour of your teeth. Here is how to do it!
Shop the best oral care products in Nigeria on Jiji
1. How does it work?
Activated charcoal is a highly absorbent substance. Its best-known use in medicine is for food poisoning. Taking large amounts of activated charcoal after food poisoning, especially during the first 30 minutes after consuming the wrong product, works thanks to charcoal particles binding themselves to the toxins and removing them from the body.
When you use charcoal to whiten your teeth, the same effect takes place. Charcoal particles stick to the toxins in your mouth and the substances that stain your teeth, gradually revealing your pearly white smile. Activated charcoal is also believed to be very effective at preventing cavities, killing bad bacteria, and maintaining a healthy pH level in your mouth, which are essential requirements for oral health.
2. What you’ll need
As we have said before, whitening your teeth with charcoal is one of the cheapest ways to get your dream smile. Naturally, you won’t need too many tools and products for it to work. Here is what you will need to try this method:
Read more: Best Foods For Healthy Teeth
- Activated charcoal
- Your regular toothbrush plus a toothbrush for applying charcoal
- A rinsing cup
If you are using activated charcoal in capsules, you will need to empty 1-2 capsules onto the toothbrush you will use specifically for the whitening process. If you have activated charcoal tablets, you will need to crush them before the whitening session to get about a teaspoon of charcoal powder.
3. How to whiten your teeth with charcoal
Once you have the charcoal and the tools at hand, here are the easy steps you need to take on your way to your perfect smile:
Read more: 7 Tips For Keeping Your Teeth Healthy
- Wet your toothbrush for whitening and dip it in charcoal powder, leaving a generous layer of charcoal on the toothbrush.
- Apply activated charcoal to your teeth in circular motions until every tooth is covered. If necessary, you can dip the toothbrush in charcoal again.
- Let the activated charcoal sit on your teeth for 2 minutes; try to keep your mouth open during this time to leave as much charcoal on the teeth as possible.
- Use a rinsing cup to rinse your mouth as many times as needed to get most of the charcoal out.
- To finish the job, you can wet your regular toothbrush and lightly brush your teeth to remove the traces of activated charcoal.
You can use this method as often as needed, but most people stick to the charcoal treatment once a day. To switch things up, or if you don’t want to use a second toothbrush, you can mix some charcoal powder with water to create a runny paste and swish it in your mouth for 2 minutes before rinsing your mouth with water.
Warning: activated charcoal can permanently stain your sink, so try not to spill too much charcoal while you are applying it and wash off any remaining charcoal after the procedure before it dries completely.
Buy everything you need for health and beauty on the Jiji app