The driver’s license is the only legal document that gives you the right to drive a car or other mode of transportation. If you’ve found yourself asking: “How do I get a driver’s license?” or if you need to renew your old license, here is a detailed guide for you!
Find your new car using the Jiji app
1. What has changed?
In the past all applicants had to visit the Federal Road Safety Corps and go through a long and complicated process of applying for a driver’s license. Not only was the procedure excessively complex, but it was also riddled with bureaucracy and even fraud.
Luckily, today you can do most of the steps to get or renew a driver’s license online! You will still need to pay a visit to the FRSC, but there is no arguing with the fact that the new way of obtaining a license is significantly easier for the applicant.
2. How to get driver’s license in Nigeria
Follow these steps to obtain a driver’s license after completing the driving school training:
- After a completed training at the driving school, you will need to pass the driving test at the local Vehicle Inspection Office.
- Once you pass the test, the VIO will issue a Certificate of Proficiency.
- Go to the FRSC website, hover your mouse over the DL Application button, and select “New Driver’s License”.
- You will be asked to enter your certificate number. After you fill in all digits, click “Validate”.
- Next you will be taken to several other forms. Fill them out thoroughly and correctly, as mistakes and omissions will result in delays in obtaining your license.
- Print out the Acknowledgement Slip and go to your nearest FRSC office. There you will physically confirm your application and go through the remaining steps required for finally getting your driver’s license.
That’s it! Now you know how to get drivers license if you’ve just finished the driving school.
3. How to renew driver’s license in Nigeria
If you need to renew your driver’s license, follow these steps:
- Go to the FRSC website, but instead of choosing “New Driver’s License” underneath the DL Application button, choose “Renewal of Driver’s License”.
- Here you will be asked to enter your current driver’s license number and your date of birth.
- The system will display the driver’s license information matching the parameters you entered. Select the necessary license.
- Next you will be asked to fill out a few more forms, and then you will be taken to the printable Acknowledgement Slip.
- Print out the slip and go to your nearest FRSC office, where you will complete the renewal process and receive your new driver’s license.
This is how to renew your driver’s license online in Nigeria.
4. How to reissue driver’s license in Nigeria
In case your driver’s license hasn’t expired yet, but got stolen or lost, here is how to reissue it online.
- Go to the FRSC office and select “Re-Issue of Driver’s License”.
- Enter your license number and date of birth.
- Find your driver’s license in the search results and complete the process by printing out the Acknowledgement Slip.
- Take the slip to the FRSC office and receive your re-issued license.
That is how to re-issue a lost or stolen driver’s license in Nigeria.
Find any services you need from top professionals in Nigeria on the Jiji app