When Tecno R7 was released in late spring 2014 it was one of the best smartphones on the Nigerian market. Tecno R7 specs seemed to break a vicious circle: the brand released similar models with identical features housed inside slightly different designs and different lines.
There was a breakthrough in Tecno R7 features: 2GB RAM that seemed something unusual for Tecno at that time, 16GB storage and hexa-core processor. Back then, it was a device that left a good impression. But what a tech fan would say reading a Tecno R7 review today?
Even an average user understands that R7 lags too far behind flagman devices and even mid-range smartphones. With a tendency to switch to the feature phones to avoid information overloading make R7 a good option: it doesn’t support 4G standard and is powered by Android 4.
Tecno R7 specification
R7 works like a time machine that takes us back to five years ago. We don’t try to be complaining or arrogant here. It’s just surprising how fast-paced technologies are. It took around 30 years to make a cell phone handy and just five years to make it completely outdated.
So here’s what you get at a very budget-friendly price.
- Released: May 2014.
- Material: Plastic.
- Colors: White, Black, Yellow.
- Dimensions: 8.4 x 78.5 x 158 mm.
- Display: 5.5″ (13.97 cm), HD (720 x 1280 pixels), IPS LCD, 267 ppi, Capacitive Multi-touch Touchscreen.
- Screen protection: Corning Gorilla Glass.
- OS: Android v4.2 (Jelly Bean).
- Processor: Hexa Core, 1.5 GHz; MediaTek MT6589 chipset.
- Tecno R7 battery: 2430 mAh Li-ion.
- RAM: 2GB.
- Storage: 16GB.
- Memory card: Up to 32 GB.
- SIM: Dual SIM, GSM+GSM.
- Camera: 13MP rear, 5MP front, 4128 x 3096 px, digital zoom, autofocus, LED flash, Back-illuminated sensor (BSI).
- Audio port: 3.5 mm jack.
- Music: player; FM radio.
- Network: 2G – GSM 1800 / 1900 / 850 / 900 MHz; 3G – UMTS 2100 MHz2G Bands: GSM 1800 / 1900 / 850 / 900 MHz.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11, b/g/n, hotspot, direct, dual-band; Bluetooth Version 3.0.
- GPS: A-GPS.
- Sensors: Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer.
- Tecno R7 price: from N18,000.
Grab Tecno R7 on Jiji – it is still available!
Pros & cons
- Nice design. High-quality plastic makes it neat and comfortable to hold.
- Good camera with ample features, including face recognition and geo-tagging.
- Affordability. Actually, it was always affordable, even back in 2014.
- Low battery capacity. It won’t work for long if you decide to surf the web or play some games.
- LTE standard is not supported. While everyone’s talking about the mobile Internet revolution, R7 users need just to forget about it.
- Operating system. Tecno decided to go with Jelly Bean, although Kit Kat was already available.
Is it worth attention?
We are certain that every smartphone we mention in reviews is worth attention. You just need to define a proper audience. Tecno R7, obviously, is not a breakthrough anymore. It is an entry-level smartphone with the basic functionality that can deal perfectly with voice services and taking photos.
Your kid will not be excited to get this device, but your parents or grandparents might be interested. If you feel like having a break from all social networking, apps, and news, R7 might be a good option to consider for you as well. Just the basics, no web overdose.