Celery is known as the nutritional powerhouse of the vegetable world. There are so many celery benefits for women and men that most doctors recommend including it into everyone’s diet. Find out more about the health benefits of celery, celery side effects and how to eat celery!
Shop high-quality meals and drinks for your family on Jiji
1. Health benefits of celery
Everyone knows there are plenty of health benefits of celery juice and stalks, but what exactly are the good things it can do for your body? Here are 7 most important aspects of celery nutrition:
- Celery is very rich in pectin-based antioxidants called polysaccharides. They have a variety of positive effects on our body, the most important one being improved digestion and prevention of gastric ulcer.
- One of the most essential health benefits of celery leaves is the vegetable’s ability to lower blood pressure. If you have a history of cardiovascular diseases in your family, make sure to eat plenty of celery!
- Celery juice and leaves are often praised for their antibacterial properties. Celery helps your body fight bacterial infections and prevents new ones by strengthening your immune system.
- You may have heard about celery being very good for losing excess fat, but how does celery help you lose weight? One of the best things about celery is that it’s very low in calories, but very dense in nutrients. So how to use celery for weight loss? Simply incorporate it in your diet in any form you like, including the juice.
- Celery has proven to be very effective in lowering high cholesterol levels. The 3-n-butylphthalide, which is present in celery, is great for keeping your cholesterol at a normal level.
- Celery can be very helpful against insomnia thanks to its high content of magnesium. Celery gently calms down your nerves and prepares your body for a refreshing night sleep.
- Thanks to being incredibly rich in water, celery is essential for keeping your skin firm, moisturized, and young-looking. Any beauty regimen cannot be imagined without sufficient water intake, and celery can help you with that.
2. Side effects of celery
Celery benefits and side effects often go hand in hand. If you plan to increase the amount of celery you consume on a daily basis, here are some side effects you need to know about:
- Pregnant women should not take too much celery, as it can cause uterine bleeding and contractions, endangering the pregnancy.
- The ability of celery to lower blood pressure is the reason why people with naturally low blood pressure shouldn’t take too much of it.
- Celery is known for occasionally causing allergies, so if you are already prone to allergies, keep your celery intake moderate.
3. How to use celery in your diet
Despite its many health benefits, celery is not the world’s most popular vegetable simply due to its unusual texture and taste. Here are 5 ways to enjoy celery in your diet:
- Use celery stalks as dipping sticks for peanut butter or any of your favourite sauces.
- The texture of celery stalks becomes much more palatable when it’s cooked in liquid for a long time, which means a celery soup is a must-try.
- Celery leaves pack a lot of flavour and taste fantastic in salads and stews.
- For a veggie-packed dinner, try adding chopped celery stalks next time you’re making a stir-fry!
- Celery juice is an easy way to get all the amazing nutrients from celery in a convenient form. Here is a video explaining how to make celery juice:
Find everything you need for healthy living on the Jiji app