Peanuts have dozens of uses in Nigerian cuisine, but if you’re wondering how to make peanut snack, then peanut burger is exactly what you’re looking for! Find out how to make Nigerian peanut burger and enjoy this beloved snack of adults and children!
Buy top quality peanuts on Jiji
1. Ingredients for peanut burger
The most important part of our peanut burger recipe is, of course, the list of required ingredients. Here is what you’ll need for cooking peanut burger:
- Roasted peanuts (groundnuts) – 1 cup
- Egg – 1
- All-purpose flour – 1/3 cup
- Corn flour – 1/3 cup
- Rice flour – 1/3 cup
- Icing sugar – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil for frying
2. How to make peanut burger
Follow these steps to make your own batch of delicious and crispy peanut burger:
- For this recipe, it’s best to use raw peanuts that you slightly roast yourself; store-bought roasted peanuts can often taste burnt. Make sure your peanuts are whole; take out the broken pieces.
- This recipe produces sweet peanut burger; if you prefer spicy food, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper – the heat of the pepper will work perfectly with the sweetness of icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Take the dry ingredients and sieve them thoroughly into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk an egg using a hand mixer until the egg is light yellow and foamy. Add 1 heaved tablespoon of the dry mixture to the egg and whisk to create a light batter.
- Put the roasted peanuts in another bowl and add 3 tablespoons of the batter to the peanuts. Shake the bowl in circular motion to evenly coat the peanuts.
- Add a 2 tablespoons of dry ingredients and shake the peanuts again to evenly distribute the mixture among the peanuts.
- Continue adding more batter and more dry ingredients in small quantities until there is no batter and no dry ingredients left.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a mid-sized pot and fry the peanuts. Don’t put more than 10-15 peanuts at once, depending on the size of your pot, to prevent them from sticking.
- Fry the peanuts until they’re golden brown – it should take between 3 and 5 minutes. Scoop out the peanuts and put them on a folded paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- Wait for peanut burger to cool down and serve with your favourite cold or hot beverage.
3. How to make Ghanaian peanut burger
As is the case with many popular recipes, Nigeria and Ghana have their own version of peanut burger. For this recipe, you don’t need to use roasted peanuts – instead they are pre-cooked by placing them in boiling water for 1 minute.
The batter is also slightly different – in addition to the egg, it requires approximately 2 tablespoons of milk. Instead of cinnamon, Ghanaian peanut burger fans recommend using nutmeg for the spicy flavour. The rest of the recipe is the same – use the steps described above to make peanut burger.
Which version will become your favourite?
Shop the best ingredients and appliances for your kitchen on the Jiji app