Frejon is a signature Nigerian dish, but you can usually enjoy it only during the Easter season. Specifically, frejon is served in millions of Nigerian families to celebrate Good Friday. Here is how to make frejon from scratch and treat your family to this hearty soup.
Shop high-quality, fresh meals and drinks for the whole family on Jiji
1. What you’ll need
The ingredients for frejon are, on the other hand, very simple, and on the other hand, they bear a lot of significance for Christians around the world. If you look for frejon recipes on the internet, you can find that every cook has his own way of making this dish. Some cooks use dozens of ingredients, including exotic ones, to upgrade the taste of frejon. However, the basic frejon recipe also has millions of fans, and you can spruce it up when serving.. Here are the ingredients for classic frejon:
Read more: How To Make Dodo Ikire
- Dried beans – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cloves – 5 (optional)
So what kind of beans should you use for frejon? The original recipe does not really call for any particular type of beans, so you can choose based on your own taste. For many people, honey beans, pinto beans, or black beans are the go-to option, but you may experiment with different kinds of beans and find your favourite flavour.
2. How to make frejon
Making frejon isn’t difficult at all and even a novice chef can successfully make frejon from the first try. You just need to follow the instructions and trust your taste. Here are the steps you need to take to make your own frejon from scratch:
Read more: How To Make Nigerian Garden Egg Sauce
- Wash the beans, put them in a pot with cool water, bring up to a boil, and cook until the beans are soft. Don’t add anything to the water at this point.
- Allow the beans to cool down slightly and transfer them to a blender or a food processor. Add half of the coconut milk. Blitz until the beans turn into a smooth paste. You can also add warm water to speed up the process.
- Push the mixture through an iron mesh sieve to get rid of any big chunks and skin from the beans left after the food processor. Transfer back to the pot and put on low heat.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, sugar, cloves, and salt. Stir well and cook on low heat. Continue stirring regularly to prevent the mixture from forming lumps or sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the soup reaches the desired consistency. Turn the heat off and serve.
3. How to serve frejon
Frejon has a delicate, slightly sweet flavour with hints of coconut, which is why it tastes fantastic on its own. However, there are several ways to upgrade frejon by serving it in combination with other dishes. A popular way to serve frejon is to do it with toasted garri and fried fish. However, you can add any protein you like, incorporate your favourite spices, or add nutritional value to your dish by serving cooked or fresh vegetables alongside your frejon!
Read more: How To Make Plantain Pepper Soup
View this post on Instagram
Buy and sell with confidence from your phone using the Jiji app