Plantain porridge is one of the best things to cook with unripe plantain. Out of all plantain recipes, plantain porridge is by far the most versatile one: it can be made with all kinds of proteins, vegetables, and spices. Find out how to prepare plantain porridge!
Buy the freshest ingredients for your cooking on the Jiji app
1. How to cook plantain porridge
Let’s start with the most common plantain porridge recipe that you’ve likely tasted before. Wondering how to cook unripe plantain porridge? First check the list of ingredients:
- Unripe plantain – 3
- Nigerian pumpkin leaves or spinach – to taste
- Onion – 1
- Medium-sized mackerel – 1
- Ground crayfish – 1-2 tbsp
- Stock cubes – 2
- Palm oil
Follow these steps to learn how to make plantain porridge:
- Peel and cut the plantains, peel and chop the onion, rinse and chop the spinach or pumpkin leaves, clean and finely dice the fish.
- Put all of the ingredients from the list, apart from palm oil and salt, into a pot and pour fresh water to completely cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, add the palm oil and salt, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Turn off the heat, let the porridge sit under the lid for a couple more minutes, and serve.
2. How to prepare beans and plantain porridge
When it comes to unripe plantain recipes, Nigerian people are never afraid to try new flavours and combinations. The recipe for cooking beans and plantain porridge isn’t that different from the original recipe, except for the longer cooking process due to the beans.
Beans take famously long to cook, so it’s best to soak them in cold water overnight. The next day cook the beans until they’re tender using a pressure cooker or a regular pot, then add the rest of the ingredients and more water, and cook the porridge the way you normally do.
3. How to make plantain porridge Jamaican style
Wondering how to take advantage of all of the plantain porridge benefits while also enjoying an exotic and appetizing flavour? Then try the Jamaican variety of plantain porridge! Unlike the previous savoury recipes, this is a sweet dish. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Unripe plantain – 2
- Milk powder – 6 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Nutmeg – 1/2 tsp
- Sweetened condensed milk for serving
Follow these steps to cook a pot of delicious Jamaican plantain porridge
- In a medium-sized pot, bring two cups of water to the boil.
- Peel the plantains, chop them into chunks and process in a blender with 1 cup of water until you get a smooth paste.
- Pour the plantain mixture into the boiling water, stir well and cook for 2 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Lower the heat and cook the porridge for approximately 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Next add the coconut milk and cook for additional 10 minutes, stirring twice in the process.
- Remove the porridge from the heat, add the spices and sweeten with condensed milk. Serve immediately.
This is how plantain porridge is cooked Jamaican style. This dish can become your family’s number one breakfast – it’s a favourite both for kids and adults!
Stock your kitchen with affordable appliances and equipment using the Jiji app