Ice block making business in Nigeria is one of the fastest growing ways to make money in the country. This business is relatively easy to join and very rewarding if you do everything right. Find out how to start an ice block business right now!
Buy your ideal, affordable ice block making machine on Jiji
1. What is ice block making?
The process of making ice blocks is appealingly simple: plastic containers, nylon bags, or metal cans are filled with water, dipped into the icing machine, and frozen at a very low temperature. The result is a water-filled shape that is called an ice block.
2. Why ice block making?
The reason why ice block business in Nigeria is thriving right now is simple: while regular people and business owners are determined to keep their food products and drinks cold, the power supply continues being extremely unstable.
The potential audience for your products is huge: from individual customers who want to keep their meals and drinks fresh, to street hawkers selling cold drinks and ice cream, to large business owners struggling to ensure proper storage conditions in their markets, shops, hotels, and restaurants.
3. Which equipment do you need?
Ice block making isn’t a technologically sophisticated business: you can start a small-scale business with a bare minimum of equipment:
- Ice block making machine in Nigeria
- Diesel power generator
- Constant source of clear water
- Packaging materials
The most expensive item on this list is, of course, the ice block making machine. The ice block making machine price in Nigeria depends on the size of the device. You can buy a small machine for ₦300,000, but large-scale industrial machines cost up to ₦2 million. It’s also possible to score a much lower ice block making machine price if you buy a used machine from Jiji!
4. How to start an ice block making business
If you’re ready to launch your own successful ice block making enterprise, here is a step-by-step guide on how to start.
- Choose your location: it needs to be a place with a lot of foot traffic, within close proximity of other large businesses, and in convenient location for delivering the goods to the customers.
- Create a business plan. Whether you do it on your own or hire someone to do it for you, a business plan will help you create an efficient business strategy and know exactly what your expenses and projected earnings will be.
- Get a supply of water. The quality of water you’re using for your business should be steadily high: people won’t return to buy more ice blocks from you if they’re not satisfied with the quality. You can get water from a borehole, or buy water from a third party supplier.
- Hire people. When your business is only starting out, you don’t need a big staff. Two machine operators, cashier, loader, and a delivery truck driver should be enough to get your business running for the first few months.
- Make yourself known. In this day and age, there are many ways for you to attract customers. The easiest thing you can do is word-of-mouth marketing: establish contacts with business owners, event planners, and caterers, and let your outstanding service quality speak for itself. You can also print out flyers, invest in visual advertising, or try promoting your business online.
Start your thriving business with the Jiji app