Even though the world is getting more dependant on technology, farming is still a popular way for people all over the planet to make money while doing what they love. At the same time, there are many new ways to farm, and hydroponic farming at home is one of them.
If you’re interested in farming and want to make it more efficient and modern, here is a full guide on how to start a hydroponic farm – use it to start your own blooming farming business!
Launch your successful business with the Jiji app
1. What is hydroponics farming?
If there is one way to describe hydroponics farming is that this type of farming can be done without soil. The main agent in hydroponics is water, which is used to nurture all kinds of plants. However, it doesn’t mean that your options are limited by water – new ideas on how to start hydroponics farming appear all the time!
One of the reasons why hydroponics have a huge potential in Nigeria is that when you grow your plants through hydroponics, you can rest assured that you’ll get decent crops regardless of the weather condition and other factors that affect regular farmers.
2. What are the best hydroponics plants?
While the range of plants that can be grown with the help of hydroponics is huge, not every plant is suited for hydroponics, since some of them require soil. Luckily, there are plenty of products that are perfect for growing through hydroponic farming that is popular in Nigeria. Here are some of them:
- Flower crops
3. Hydroponic farming business plan
If you’ve decided to take on hydroponic farming, get ready to do some planning, as the only business with a clear business plan has a chance of succeeding. Here are the steps you need to take to launch your own hydroponic farm.
- Start with a research. First, research the farming conditions in your area based on the experience of other farmers, and then investigate the types of crops that have the highest demand in your region.
- Study hydroponic farming. It doesn’t matter if you’ve dealt with regular farming before or are completely new to this business: there are many nuances in hydroponic farming that you need to get familiar with.
- Choose your location. A great thing about hydroponic farming is that you don’t need a huge land plot to launch a farm – you can start with a moderately sized farm and get creative with the smart use of the available space.
- Get a permission. Unless you are planning to build a tiny farm in your backyard to be used only by your family, you need to obtain a permission for farming from the local authorities – that way you’ll be able to safely farm and sell your produce afterward.
- A study from professionals. Although many hydroponic farmers have started their enterprises without any help, you’ll be much better off if you hire a professional farmer as a consultant. A hydroponics professional will help you launch your business in the smoothest way possible.
- Hire workers. When starting a commercial hydroponic business, you have two options: to hire professionals or to give a chance to people with no experience in hydroponics and teach them as you go. The latter option is considerably cheaper, and you can shape your staff the way you see it.
- Build your customer base. Since hydroponic farming is still fairly new in Nigeria, finding the customers may prove challenging at first. The best thing you can do is find several bulk purchasers – markets, grocery stores, and supermarkets – and build a steady sales process with them.
This is how you can start your own hydroponic farm in Nigeria. The launch of the farm may not be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, but it’s certainly worth it, considering that hydroponics is the new hottest farming trend in the world.
Become a successful businessman with the Jiji app