In modern house designs, a parapet is a seemingly minor but actually very important part of the construction. Find out what parapet design is and check out popular parapet designs in Nigeria!
Find the best building professionals in Nigeria on Jiji
1. What is a parapet?
A parapet is a construction element that surrounds the perimeter of the roof. Depending on the construction style, a parapet can also look like an extension of the house walls.
The parapet roof design is very versatile and includes parapets ranging from tiny protective ones to parapets that are over a meter tall and can help turn your roof into a hangout space for family and friends.
Based on the parapet size, there are also two possible reasons why you need to install a parapet in your home:
- Safety. The most important purpose of modern parapet designs is safety. Even a small parapet will protect you from debris falling off the roof during windy days. Plus, if you need to do some work on the roof, a parapet will prevent you from accidentally falling down.
- Practical use. If you opt for a higher parapet, you can easily turn your roof into an extension of the living space of your home. Whether you want to create a leisure spot, a greenhouse, or an outdoor dining space, you should start with installing reliable parapets.
2. Types of parapet roof
All parapets used in modern roofing styles and designs in Nigeria can be divided into several categories:
- Plain parapets, which are the most common parapet design used in Nigeria and worldwide. Their name speaks for themselves: most plain parapets are simple, flat extensions of the walls around the roof.
- Panelled parapets, which are a thing of the past. They sported glamorous and complex designs, but they are hardly used these days and often don’t fit the modern designs of houses and roofs.
- Embattled parapets, which are also rarely used today. This type of parapet was designed for protection purposes during the times when people always expected intruders. These days embattled parapets are simply unnecessary.
- Perforated parapets, which also came from the past but are still used today. Due to their intricate design with holes and perforations, these parapets have a huge artistic value and can be a great addition to the appearance of your house.
3. Cost of parapet roofing in Nigeria
The cost of parapet in Nigeria depends on many factors: your location in the country, the preferred parapet design, and the material you want to use in your parapet.
Today you can choose between concrete, aluminium, and precast parapets. The price of the parapet is calculated per a meter of the parapet perimeter. On average, 1 meter of aluminium parapet will cost you around ₦12,000, precast costs about ₦10,000 per meter, while concrete parapets are the most expensive ones and will cost you up to ₦15,000 per meter.
4. Parapet roof design pictures
So what’s the best parapet design these days? Check out these photos of modern parapet designs and you are guaranteed to find your new favourite parapet look for your home!
Build your home with products and services from the Jiji app