Rice is one of the favourite side dishes and garnishes in Nigeria, but the traditional ways of cooking rice can become old pretty quick if you don’t try any new recipes. Basmati fried rice is a dish that has it all – rice, protein, veggies, and flavourful spice. Find out how to make basmati fried rice right now!
Shop high-quality rice in Nigeria on Jiji
The main ingredient in basmati fried rice is obviously rice, but one of the best things about this dish is that it’s a medley of delicious flavours and textures. To make a batch of basmati rice for the whole family, you will need the following ingredients:
Read more: How To Make Suya Spice
- Basmati rice – 4 cups
- Shrimp – 1-2 cups
- Cooked liver – 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables – 3 cups
- Chicken stock – 4-5 cups
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Spring onions – 1 cup
- Stock cubes – 4
- Dried thyme – 1 tbsp
- Curry powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
Note: you are free to choose your favourite vegetables for your basmati fried rice, but the most popular veggies to add to this dish include carrots, peas, and corn. You can also add cabbage, bell peppers, or anything else you want to see in your dish.
2. How to make basmati fried rice
This basmati fried rice recipe is pretty simple and you can make it in under an hour, which makes it a perfect option for dinner. Follow these steps to cook fresh basmati fried rice:
Read more: How To Make Jollof Spaghetti
- Wash the rice in running water until the water is clear and no longer cloudy. Drain the rice.
- Put a pot on the stove, turn on medium heat, and add the cooking oil. Allow the oil to heat up and then add the drained rice. Fry the rice for a couple of minutes, stirring regularly.
- When the rice slightly changes colour, pour the chicken stock. Add as much stock as needed to cover the rice, but don’t go overboard. You can substitute chicken stock with water. Add the thyme, curry powder, stock cubes, and chopped onion. If you are using chicken stock, you probably don’t need to add more salt, but if you are using water, salt the rice to taste.
- Put on a lid and cook the rice until it is nearly ready. In case your lid isn’t tight enough, you can first cover the pot with foil and then put on the lid, since basmati rice needs a lot of trapped heat to cook through.
- When the rice is about 80% cooked, add the mixed vegetables and the cooked and chopped liver. Stir and taste; adjust the seasoning if necessary. Then mix in the chopped spring onions, put the lid back on, and cook until the rice is ready.
- Add the cooked shrimp, stir, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the rice to steam for 1-2 minutes. Open the lid, release the heat, and serve your basmati fried rice.
Read more: How To Make Ofada Stew
Buy the freshest ingredients and top-notch equipment for your kitchen on the Jiji app