Even when something is as perfect as jollof rice, there are always ways to make it better. If you are not yet familiar with the Nigerian delicacy that is jollof spaghetti, you are in luck, because today we present the easiest and most delicious jollof spaghetti recipe.
Shop high-quality meals and drinks in Nigeria on Jiji
The heart of any jollof rice recipe is the special sauce, and the same is true for jollof rice. That is why, in many ways, the list of ingredients for jollof spaghetti is similar to that of jollof rice, although there are plenty of differences between the two. Here is what you’ll need to make jollof spaghetti:
Read more: How To Cook Coconut Rice
- Dry spaghetti – 500g
- Red bell peppers – 3
- Yellow bell peppers – 2
- Green bell pepper – 1
- Carrots – 2
- Scotch bonnet peppers – 2
- Tomatoes – 3
- Onions – 2
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Minced ginger – 1/2tsp
- Boneless chicken or any other protein – 200g
- Chicken stock or water – 2 cups
- Stock cubes – 2
- Oil for cooking
- Curry powder, thyme, garlic powder – to taste
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Green onion stalks – 3 (for garnishing)
2. How to cook jollof spaghetti
Follow these steps to prepare a delicious pot of jollof spaghetti:
Read more: How To Cook Afang Soup
- Wash and cut the meat into small cubes. Prepare a mixture of one stock cube, a little garlic powder, and salt. Combine the meat with the mixture and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Wash and finely slice the carrots, the yellow and green bell peppers, as well as 1 red bell pepper. Set the vegetables aside.
- Put a pot of water on a stove, add salt, turn on the heat, bring to a rolling boil, add a tablespoon of oil and the dry spaghetti, and cook according to the instructions until the pasta is 90% cooked.
- Transfer the pasta to a colander, strain, and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, blitz together the tomatoes, remaining bell peppers, and scotch bonnet peppers until a smooth mixture forms.
- Chop the onion. Put a cooking spoon of oil into a pan and turn on the heat. Add half of the chopped onion into the pan and fry until translucent. Pour in the tomato and pepper mixture. Add the stock cube, thyme, and curry powder. Stir well and cook on low heat until the oil floats to the surface.
- While your sauce is being cooked, place another pan on the stove and turn on the heat. Add two tablespoons of oil, allow it to heat, and add the remaining chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- In the meantime, peel and mince the garlic. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic and cook until you can sense a strong aroma.
- Add the cubed and marinated meat and fry until the meat is cooked, stirring continuously on high heat. Add the chopped peppers and carrots and allow the vegetables to cook through. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Check the sauce. If the oil has floated to the surface, add the stock or water, stir, and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pasta, stir well using kitchen tongs, and cook for 1 minute. Taste the dish for salt and seasoning; adjust if necessary.
- Add the cooked meat and vegetables, stir everything together, allow to cook for 1 or 2 minutes without putting the lid on. Take the pan off the heat, garnish with chopped green onions, and serve your jollof spaghetti.
That’s it! Your steaming pot of delicious jollof spaghetti is ready. As always, you can adjust the recipe: for example, you can add more vegetables like peas and corn, use shrimp instead of chicken or beef, or not use any meat at all. It is going to taste great anyway!
Read more: How To Make Ofada Stew
Stock your kitchen with the finest ingredients and equipment with the Jiji app