The period is something every woman experiences, on average, once a month, and it’s important to feel 100% confident and secure during that time. The three most popular products for women are pads, tampons, and menstrual cups, and here is how to choose the best one for you.
Shop thousands of affordable health and beauty products on Jiji
Pads are probably the first feminine hygiene product you have ever used, as most young girls begin with pads during their periods. Pads are also the oldest period hygiene product. Here are the most important aspects of using pads:
- Pads come in different sizes that can be easily adjusted to your flow. Most girls start with larger pads during the first days of the period and gradually move on to light-duty pads by the end of the period.
- Pads with larger capacity can be used for up to 8 hours, which makes them the best option for sleeping during the night.
- Even if you forget to replace your pad for a couple of hours, you are not likely to experience any negative symptoms, except for possible leakage.
- Most pads are securely attached to your underwear, but they can still be displaced during intense physical activity, which may prove to be uncomfortable.
Tampons have been used since the 20th century. There have been a lot of myths surrounding the use of tampons, but for many women, they are the more hygienic and modern alternative to pads. Here is what you should know about using tampons:
- Tampons are a great option for physical activity, especially intensive workouts.
- Tampons are one of the few period product options that allow you to swim in open water and pools, provided that you replace the tampon immediately after swimming.
- The Toxic Shock Syndrome is probably the scariest side effect of using tampons, and while it is very rare, it is still a possibility, which is why the tampon should be replaced in 4 to 6 hours.
- Since the tampon can only be used for up to 6 hours, it is not a good option if you like to sleep for 8 and more hours every night.
- Tampons are tiny and compact, which allows you to securely carry them around unnoticed.
3. Menstrual cups
Menstrual cups are the newest feminine hygiene product that has been steadily getting more and more popular for the past decade. A menstrual cup is made from silicone, latex rubber, or elastomer. Depending on the capacity, a menstrual cup can hold between 10 and 38ml of fluid. Here are the essential facts about using menstrual cups:
- Menstrual cups preserve your internal healthy bacteria and prevent the various infections that can be triggered by tampon use.
- The fluids in the cup are not exposed to air, which eliminates the frequent odor problem with pads and tampons.
- A correctly inserted cup does not give you any discomfort and is often not felt at all.
- Using a menstrual cup may take some getting used to, but if you watch a couple of YouTube tutorials, you should be fine with the process.
- For many women, cleaning the cup is a hassle, especially if you often have to do it in an office bathroom or another public restroom. Wet wipes or a small bottle of clean water can help you with this task.
- A menstrual cup can last for up to 10 years and, unlike pads and tampons, is waste-free, so if you consider yourself to be an environmentally-conscious person, this is at least something to consider.
Ultimately, the question of whether you should use tampons, pads, or cups is entirely up to your own comfort and views. The best way to know the answer to this question is to try every feminine hygiene product in different situations and find out what works best for your needs. However, given the many advantages of menstrual cups, there is no doubt that even more women will opt for this type of protection in the nearest future.
Take great care of your health with affordable products from the Jiji app