Hand sanitizer became one of the most valuable commodities around the world since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak. Unfortunately, hand sanitizer is also very hard to buy these days, as most stores ran out of the product. Here is how you can make your own hand sanitizer in any quantity at home.
Find the best deals on hand sanitizers in Nigeria on Jiji
1. What you’ll need
The main ingredient in a homemade hand sanitizer is alcohol – it is the compound responsible for killing the germs and preventing the spreading fo the disease. However, rubbing your hands with pure alcohol can make your skin very dry and irritated. To make a small batch of hand sanitizer, you will need the following ingredients:
Read more: 5 Major Coronavirus Updates You Should Know About
- 2/3 cup of 99% rubbing alcohol
- 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel
- Several drops of your preferred essential oil
Additionally, you will need a few pieces of equipment that you likely already have at home: a mixing bowl and spoon, a funnel, and an empty bottle – you can use a leftover bottle from old hand sanitizers, skin care products, or liquid soap.
Ideally, the bottle for your hand sanitizer will have a pump, but even if not, a regular bottle where the product will pour from a small opening should also be completely fine.
2. How to make hand sanitizer
The process of making hand sanitizer at home is much easier than finding hand sanitizer for sale or, sometimes, sourcing the ingredients for homemade hand sanitizer. The production of hand sanitizer takes just two easy steps:
Read more: Coronavirus In Nigeria! Safety Tips On How To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus!
- Measure and pour the rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, and 8 to 10 drops of essential oil into a mixing bowl. Mix well with a spoon to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a bottle, attach the lid, and use as a regular hand sanitizer.
3. How to use hand sanitizer
When you prepare a big batch of hand sanitizer, your first instinct may be to use it all the time and even instead of hand soap. However, there are a few important rules to follow with using hand sanitizer if you want to minimize the possibility of getting infected:
Read more: List Of Politicians And Celebrities Who Have Tested Positive To Coronavirus
- When your hands are very dirty and greasy – for example, if you have been recently handling food or soil – hand sanitizer may not be particularly effective. If possible, you should try washing your hands with soap or cleaning them with wet wipes before applying sanitizer.
- Apply a few drops of hand sanitizer to the palms of your hands. Rub your hands on one another for up to 30 seconds, covering every part of your hands, including the spaces between your fingers.
- If you have a sensitive task to perform – for example, before handing out food or giving medical care – the best option is to first wash your hands with high-quality soap for 20 seconds and then applying hand sanitizer. However, if you often follow that routine, your hands can become dry very quickly. That is why you may need to apply hand cream whenever possible to heal the skin on your hands.
- Hand sanitizer can also be used to disinfect certain objects – for example, the doorknobs and electric switches in your home, especially the ones you inevitably touch after coming home before properly washing your hands.
Buy and sell with confidence from your phone using the Jiji app