The Nigerian sausage roll recipe is by no means a rare cooking secret since it’s quite a common snack in Nigeria. It consists of a spicy sausage wrapped by some yummy puff paste. This paste resembles the dough that is normally cooked for the Nigerian Chicken Pie.
However, not every sausage is pleasing to the palate. Wanna know how to make sausage rolls that are heavenly-tasting? Simply read this post!!
Is online shopping exhausting and time-consuming? You’re doing it wrong!!
Install the updated Jiji app now – start shopping online conveniently!
Sometimes Sausage Rolls are simply made by putting a beef sausage into a piece of dough and baked in the oven. However, this dish cannot be called a festive one. If you catch yourself asking this question – how do I make sausage roll that would meet all my expectations? – simply check out this unique recipe.
2. Ingredients for sausage rolls
To make the dough:
- 300g of flour;
- 1-2 teaspoonfuls of baking powder;
- 150g of margarine;
- Half a teaspoonful of salt;
- Cold Water.
To make the meat filling:
- 300g of good sausage (Satis® are great for our purpose);
- Half a teaspoonful of ground nutmeg;
- 1 big bouillon cube.
For the decoration:
- A medium-sized egg.
3. How to make sausage rolls: step-by-step directions
The Sausage Filling:
Sometimes sausages can taste bland and too salty. That’s why it’s best to season them before putting in a roll. Here’s how you can do this:
- Mash the sausages in a bowl adding some ground nutmeg.
- Add hand-crushed bouillon cube and any other spices that you like and stir.
- Use the manual blender to make a smooth paste.
The Sausage Roll dough:
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Bear in mind that sausages are quite salty.
- Add small bits of margarine into the bowl and rub them well with the mixture.
- Crush the margarine into the flour with your fingertips.
- Pour a little cold water and stir until you get a nice smooth piece of dough.
Preparations to baking:
- Heat the oven to 170°C (~335°F) in advance.
- Brush some margarine on the oven tray and sprinkle it with some flour.
- Break and beat the egg up.
How to prepare sausage roll: the finishing touch:
- Make 3mm-thick dough rollouts.
- Make a rectangular cut on the dough with a blunt knife.
- Put aside the leftover dough and smear the egg on the rectangular-shaped dough.
- Place some sausage filling along the dough near the edge. You should be able to fold the dough like a mat with an overlap. Check out the video to see how to do that.
- Seal the roll like an envelope with the leftover dough.
- Cut the roll as you like.
- Make as many such rolls as you need and place them in the greased oven tray.
- Smear the rest of the egg on the rolls to make them look yummy golden brown when ready.
- Place the tray in the hot oven and cook till they are crispy and light brown (around 40 minutes).
That’s how to make Nigerian Gala at home: easy, simple and tasty!
This is how we make our delicious Sausage rolls in Nigeria. I hope you enjoy it.
Install the updated Jiji app now – make your online shopping a real pleasure!