Today, there are many Japanese used cars and American used cars for export in the US that are being sold at very reasonable prices. But first, you should clearly understand how to import cars from the USA to Nigeria.
We will tell you that USA and Canada are the best countries for importing vehicles, and these cars are the most desirable due to the USA specifications to companies, that produce cars. Buying and importing modern vehicles from the USA is quite easy for those, who know all the details of this process. But the novice may find this process really hard.
Let’s find out how to import foreign used cars for sale in Nigeria in details, review different options, the costs of shipping and clearing cars, and the time it takes to import a car in Nigeria!
Buy the latest new or popular used cars on Jiji at the best prices 0 find greatest offers in the multiple ads of real sellers from all around Nigeria!
1. Shipping from USA to Nigeria: a step-by-step guide
Here you will find the brief step-by-step shipping guide. If you are wondering, how many days does it take to ship a car from USA to Nigeria, here’s the information:
- the ship takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Lagos (unless the ship will stop in the other ports) from the moment it takes off from the USA port.
- Once the ship drops off your car at the destination port in Nigeria, the estimated time of transit usually takes about 1 – 3 months.
You should keep in mind that when the ship gets to port in Lagos, the process does not end here. Usually, the off-loading process takes several weeks. And this is the best moment to get your clearing agent to work.
Here is the step-by-step guide on shipping cars if you do it yourself or with the help of the agent:
2. Shipping from USA to Nigeria cost details
- You have to pay an auction fee when you are buying through an Auction abroad;
- you pay the shipping cost to the foreign country;
- you pay clearing fees and different port charges;
- your paying include customs duty, levy, and VAT;
- you are charged for the commission, that goes to shipping and clearing agents;
- you pay charges to the shipping company at the delivery point;
- the costs also may include some miscellaneous expenses.
3. Rules for importing cars into Nigeria
The government of Nigeria claims that you must make an e-Form M to import any types of goods. E-Form M is valid for half a year, except for the E-Form M that you open in order to import machinery and plants, which is valid for 1 year.
4. Nigerian import duty and levy
You should keep in mind that the process of importing new or used cars includes import duty and levy payments. The duty has increased from 20% to 35% while levy has increased from 2% to 35%, all make 70% in total.
5. Options for importing cars in Nigeria
You can choose one of the various options to import a car that works best for you:
- You can get a representative in a foreign country that will act as your agent. The best option if this person is your relative, friend or just a person you trust.
- You can hire import shipping & clearing agent/company here in Nigeria to import the vehicle brand & specification you want to buy.
- You can buy a car directly from the car dealers online and pay them for the shipping services.
6. Cost of clearing cars in Nigeria
The year of manufacture and the size of your vehicle are the determining factors of the sum you will pay. In other words, a car that was manufactured in 2000 attracts a lower tariff, and a vehicle that was manufactured in 2017-2018 attracts a higher fee.
Choose the best and most authoritative clearing companies on Jiji to get the clearing process done perfectly without overpaying!
7. Cost of shipping a car from USA to Nigeria
The vehicles are shipped in a container or via so-called «Roll-on/Roll-off». The main ports for shipping cars are New York and New Jersey. Now we will give you the average sum of the total cost that you will be charged for shipping the certain car type and model from New York to Lagos:
- Container Shipping for 1 car will cost you $1,375.
- RO-RO cost is $1,075.
These costs differ from one port to another.
Also, the shipping from New Jersey, for example, costs approximately $1,100 and it takes 30-40 days for the container ship to arrive in Nigeria. Shipping cars from California port will cost you $1,400 and transit time will take about 50 days.
You can easily get the current rates for car shipping using the online calculators.
Find the best of the best shipping companies on Jiji – get premium services without overpaying!
Looking to buy and export your vehicle to Lagos or Onne, NIGERIA? You are in right place! We can help you to buy any vehicles from the USA and ship it to NIGERIA.
Install free updated Jiji app now – get all the winning Jiji deals right on your smartphone!