A wedding invitation is one of those things that start creating the vibe long before the ceremony. It is often complicated to choose wedding invitation cards. Despite the diversity of designers and ideas, guests are more complicated to impress nowadays.
Wedding cards in Nigeria are more than pieces of paper with some text. Invitations stick to the general style of the wedding party. Even if your budget is limited, it is not a reason to buy something primitive in a store nearby. Be original.
If you are planning a quest, send invitations designed as a map. If your wedding will be in ancient style, go with a paper scroll. If you’ve chosen the green and cream color palette, the invitations should follow it, too. Or simply send handwritten personal letters to every guest.
Prices of wedding invitation cards in Nigeria differ depending on the chosen style and concept, materials, whether they are handmade and master’s price list if so. Before you make a final decision, let’s talk a bit about Nigerian wedding invitation cards essentials & the latest trends.
Choose a format
- Paper. This is the most familiar format, which actually offers a lot of room for experiments. Themes, colors, prints, textures — there are no limits for your imagination.
- Media. You can shoot a video on a webcam on your computer or order an advert on the radio. It depends only on budget and imagination.
- Digital. This format features emails, Facebook posts, e-cards on the wedding websites, and other messages that live on the web.
- More creativity! You can order souvenirs, like a magnet or a message in a bottle. You can send a letter with a pigeon, spray it on a wall, write it in the clouds… Ideas are not unlimited, although your budget might be.
Content defines design. At a certain stage, you have to ask yourself a question: how to write a wedding invitation? Three things are obligatory to mention: date & time, place, and your signatures. You can also include an attachment with the following information:
- dress code;
- RSVP request;
- map for out of towners;
- other things that should be clarified.
Save the Date cards
Some couples decide to inform guests about the date long before they make any other decisions. So-called Save the Date’s are sent to guests after the date is set. Thus, every guest can add the event to their calendars immediately.
Deciding upon design
Don’t be surprised, but wedding invitation wording and wedding invitation card design are also subject to seasonal trends. It doesn’t mean you need to Google what is fashionable this year and just go with it. On the contrary, the latest trends can fill your mind with some fresh ideas.
Colour combination for wedding
As a rule, the color of an invitation corresponds to the color palette of the wedding. Ultraviolet was chosen as the main color of 2018. The shades of yellow, violet, rose, blue, and warm red stayed in the top of the popular colors.
It is not clear what colors will be chosen by the designers for 2019, but some remain trendy for several years. For example, eco-style with textured patterns came from 2017 and are still among the favorites, as well as minimalism inspired by the Scandinavian style.
Trends & ideas
- Watercolor is the key trend of 2018 – tender, stylish, and certainly eye-catching.
- Calligraphy with its nice tidy and sophisticated letters can become a highlight. Besides, handwritten signatures are even more valued.
- Natural motives together with the ace style have been around for a while. You can go with floral patterns and illustrations or natural decorative elements, like feathers, flowers, etc.
- Geometric patterns are stylish and original, just think well through the color combination.
- Carved patterns, usually created with laser cutting, look very romantic. Lacy and floral ornaments are the best options for this style.
- The chalkboard was probably inspired by the school years. However, instead of nostalgic vibes, you get an original design in contrasting colors.
- Torn edges remind about quick notes, a message in a bottle, and secret letters that should have been burnt. They look delicate and a bit mysterious.
- Couple portraits, especially drawn or painted, will certainly cause pleasant emotions. And for sure, they will be exclusive!
- Dark paper is about reconsidering the wedding traditions. Such invitations won’t look grim; on the contrary, they are stylish and a bit aristocratic.
- Metallic effects, like golden letters, silver paper, copper figures, etc., are the timeless trend. Fans of the modern style will pick geometric patterns, while those who prefer classic style will go with the glittering letters.
Wedding invitation cards samples
There is no such thing as traditional wedding invitation cards in Nigeria, but you are welcome to use traditional colors in the palette. Native patterns will look fresh and original, too. And if you haven’t decided upon a perfect design yet, some wedding invitation card template ideas will inspire you.