A pair of white sneakers is one of the staples in both men’s and women’s wardrobes. However, only clean white shoes will become a good addition to your style. Check out 5 best tips on how to clean white sneakers!
Shop sneakers for every taste and budget in Nigeria on Jiji
1. How to clean fabric sneakers
The method you choose for cleaning white trainers depends on the material of the sneakers. Canvas shoes are very popular, but they are also among the trickiest ones to clean.
1. Baking soda and vinegar
So how do you clean white canvas shoes? Here is the most effective method.
- This method will require just two ingredients – baking soda and vinegar.
- Take a cup of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Stir the mixture until it turns into a paste.
- Using a toothbrush or a piece of cloth, start rubbing the paste into the canvas of the sneakers. You will notice the mixture drying off quickly as you clean. When both shoes are cleaned, simply brush off any remaining paste and allow the sneakers to dry completely.
If you’re not a fan of the smell of vinegar or want to try another method, here is how to clean white Nike sneakers. This method also works for other white canvas shoes.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of mild soap in 1 cup of warm water.
- Dip a piece of cloth or toothbrush into the mixture and gently rub the dirt off the sneakers.
- When you finish cleaning the sneakers, fill them with paper and leave them out to dry naturally. The paper will help the shoes retain their shape.
Toothpaste is another popular solution for keeping your white sneakers sparkly clean. When you research how to clean white canvas shoes, toothpaste is one of the first solutions that comes up. Here is how to clean sneakers with toothpaste:
- Note that only white, non gel-based toothpaste is suitable for cleaning white sneakers.
- Apply small quantities of toothpaste to the dirty areas of the sneakers and rub it into the fabric using a wet toothbrush.
- After achieving the desired state of the canvas, wash the remaining toothpaste off with a damp towel and leave the sneakers to dry naturally.
2. How to clean leather sneakers
White leather sneakers are a chic addition to any wardrobe, but they also tend to get dirty pretty fast. Unfortunately, leather is also less forgiving than canvas and requires gentle care. Here is how to clean white leather sneakers at home.
1. Olive oil and vinegar
Wondering how to clean your white sneakers with olive oil? Follow these steps:
- In a small spray bottle, combine 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of vinegar.
- Shake the bottle vigorously to mix the contents well.
- Spray the mixture onto the sneakers and leave for up to 10 minutes for the dirt to come out.
- Gently rub the surface of the sneakers with a cloth. When the stains disappear, simply leave the shoes to dry out.
You already know how to keep your white Converse clean with toothpaste, and the good news is that the same trick can be used for leather sneakers!
To clean your white leather sneakers, use the same method as you’d use for canvas shoes. However, the leather material of your shoes is more gentle than canvas, which means you need to apply less pressure while cleaning. Remember to carefully remove the traces of the toothpaste with a damp cloth after cleaning!
Find the best deals on clothes and footwear on the Jiji app