The Headies is one of Nigeria’s most prestigious award ceremonies in music. Every year, millions of Nigerians are glued to their screens watching their favourite performers being recognized by the industry. Here is everything that went down at Headies 2019!
Dress like a celebrity with trendy clothing on Jiji
1. Details of Headies 2019
This year, Headies took place for the 13th time. If you can’t believe it’s been that long since the first Headies took place, you are right – this awards show was formerly known as the Hip Hop Awards. Even though the name changed, the ceremony still primarily celebrates urban music artists of Nigeria.
The Headies 2019 ceremony took place on Saturday, October 19 at the Eko Convention Centre in Lagos. The event was presented by Reminisce, a renowned rap artist, and Nancy Isime, a beloved actress and TV host. The awards show was attended by the most famous names in music in the country.
Like any popular celebrity event, the Headies 2019 was involved in its fair share of controversy. The date of the event coincided with the date of Wizkid’s own creation known as Starfest. As a result, Wizkid himself and some of the most adored music artists like Tiwa Savage were missing from the ceremony.
Naturally, the absence of Nigeria’s leading urban music personalities couldn’t go unnoticed by the public. And while some viewers didn’t see any problem in the clash between the two events, some viewed Wizkid’s concert as a sign of disrespect for the Headies ceremony.
2. List of winners
The Headies 2019 recognized dozens of artists in their categories, from beginners to established performers. Here are the winners in every category of the 2019 Headies:
- Best Vocal Performance (Female): Teni – Uyo Meyo.
- Best Vocal Performance (Male): Wurld – Wishes & Butterfly.
- Best Performer: Yemi Alade.
- Best Music Video: Burna Boy – Dangote, directed by Clarence Peters.
- Producer of the Year: Killertunes – Fake Love by Starboy feat. Duncan Mighty and Wizkid.
- African Artiste Recognition: King Promise – CCTV (Ghana).
- Headies Viewers’ Choice: Teni.
- Best R&B Single: Gimme Love – Seyi Shay feat. Runtown.
- Best Pop Single: Case – Teni
- Best Rap Single: Talk – Falz.
- Best Alternative Song: Finding Efe – Johnny Drille.
- Best Recording of the Year: Uyo Mayo – Teni.
- Album of the Year: Moral Instruction – Falz.
- Best Rap Album: Moral Instruction – Falz.
- Best R&B/Pop Album: Mayor Of Lagos – Mayorkun.
- Best Street Hop Artiste: Chinko Ekun – Able God.
- Best Collaboration: Killin’ Dem – Burna Boy featuring Zlatan.
- Hip Hop World Revelation: Mayorkun.
- Next Rated: Rema.
- Rookie of the Year: Barry Jhay.
- Lyricist on the Roll: AQ – Crown.
- Song of the Year: Ye – Burna Boy.
- Artiste of the Year: Burna Boy.
3. Red carpet pictures
Every year, Headies reveal the most impressive achievements in hip-hop music of the year. However, that is not all everyone is looking for when Headies are on. This award ceremony also features some of the trendiest, most expensive, and inspiring fashion looks.
This year was no exception. From fresh takes on native wear to designer gowns and suits – it seems like the Headies 2019 had it all. Take a look at some of the most memorable, fashion-forward, and simply gorgeous looks from the Headies 2019 red carpet.
Swipe ➡️ to see more photos of your favorite celebs at the #headies2019 . #PulseNigeria #PulseCelebs
15.8k Likes, 215 Comments – Pulse NG (@pulsenigeria247) on Instagram: “Swipe ➡️ to see more photos of your favorite celebs at the #headies2019 . #PulseNigeria #PulseCelebs”
4,682 Likes, 59 Comments – Pulse NG (@pulsenigeria247) on Instagram: “More beautiful and dazzling looks from the #Headies2019 red carpet . . #PulseNigeria #PulseCelebs”
More photos from the #headies2019 red carpet. Can you spot your faves? 😍 . . #PulseNigeria #PulseCelebs
20.4k Likes, 665 Comments – Pulse NG (@pulsenigeria247) on Instagram: “More photos from the #headies2019 red carpet. Can you spot your faves? 😍 . . #PulseNigeria…”
Follow the latest fashion trends on a budget with the Jiji app