Canada is one of the most attractive countries for immigrants. It treats everyone equally, has outstanding healthcare and social programs, and is a beautiful, comfortable country for living. One of the popular ways to move to Canada is a permanent residency, and here is how to apply for it without an agent.
Find the best visa services in Nigeria on Jiji
1. What is a permanent residence?
A permanent residence gives you an opportunity to live and work in Canada, but it does not grant you Canadian citizenship. A temporary stay in Canada – for example, when you study or work there temporarily – does not grant you a permanent residency. As a PR card holder in Canada, you remain a Nigerian citizen.
Read more: How To Get A Job In Canada From Nigeria
However, being a permanent resident in Canada gives you most of the rights and privileges reserved to Canadian citizens, including living and working anywhere, being protected by Canadian law, applying for Canadian citizenship, and receiving social benefits and health care coverage. You may not be able to apply for positions that require high-level security clearance or run for public office. You also need to spend at least 730 days in 5 years in Canada to keep your PR status.
2. Who is eligible for a permanent residency?
Permanent residency in Canada is not granted randomly and you need to fit a range of criteria if you want to live in Canada permanently. The Canadian government has designed an Express Entry feature allowing you to speed up the process of legalizing your status in Canada.
There is also a Comprehensive Ranking System, which allows you to calculate your eligibility for a PR status. You can find the CRS here. This list of criteria will help you understand whether your chances of getting a permanent residency are good. Moreover, you will need to determine your National Occupational Classification, which you can do here.
3. How to apply for a permanent residency in Canada
Applying for a PR status in Canada is a complex process that does not happen overnight. These are the steps you need to take if you want to apply for a Canadian permanent residency:
- Apply for and complete an English test: IELTS or CELPIP.
- Submit your documents and pay for a World Education Services evaluation.
- Wait until you receive your invitation to apply.
- While you are waiting, begin searching for suitable jobs in Canada.
- Submit the required documents for a PR status, along with your proof of funds.
- If necessary, submit your biometric data.
- Wait for the visa update.
Buy and sell with confidence from your phone using the Jiji app