Banana cake is one of the most popular baked treats around the world. Each nation brings its own touch to the traditional banana cake, and Nigeria is no exception. If you have some leftover bananas that no one wants to eat anymore, check out the ultimate banana cake recipe!
Shop high-quality meals and drinks for your family on Jiji
When it comes to banana cake, the star of the dish is obviously the bananas. However, there are several more things from your fridge and kitchen pantry you will need to recreate this recipe. So, to make your delicious banana cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- Ripe bananas – 2
- Eggs – 2
- Butter or margarine – 100 grams
- Flour – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Milk – 150ml
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
If you are wondering why you need a pinch of salt for a seemingly sweet treat, you should know that salt has a wonderful ability to highlight and balance out the sweetness in a dish. Next time you are baking a cake, brownies, or cookies, add a pinch of salt to gently but noticeably transform the flavour!
2. How to make banana cake
Once you have the ingredients for your banana cake ready, time to put on your apron and get cooking! Follow these steps to bake your first Nigerian banana cake:
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees.
- Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork, leaving some banana chunks for consistency. Set aside.
- Whip the room-temperature butter or margarine with a hand mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one by one, mixing thoroughly in between.
- Combine the mixture of butter and eggs with the mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients: sifted flour, baking powder, and vanilla sugar.
- Start adding the dry ingredients to the banana mixture a couple of spoonfuls at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk to the mixture.
- Mix the cake batter one last time.
- Grease the cake pan and lightly dust it with flour. Pour in your cake batter, even it out with a spoon, and put into the oven.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Try sticking a toothpick into the cake. If it comes out dry, it means that the cake is ready.
3. Extra ideas
Banana cake tastes delicious on its own and is the favourite baked treat for millions of people around the world. However, if you find the regular recipe slightly boring, here are some ideas on how to make your banana cake even better:
- To play with the texture of your dish, you can add raisins, nuts, or poppy seeds to the batter.
- Lemon or orange zest and a couple of teaspoon of lemon or orange juice will add a fruity flavour to the cake.
- Instead of baking the banana cake as a whole, you can divide the mixture into muffin tins and bake individual banana muffins. Serve them on its own or turn them into cupcakes by decorating your muffins with buttercream or any other frosting you prefer.
- After baking your banana cake, you can coat it with a simple sugar glaze:
In this video Chef Tovia Gartenberg demonstrates how to make Vanilla Glaze. this is perfect for Doughnuts, cakes, pastries and etc. This doesn’t take many ingredients at all to make, the secret is not to add too much milk, if you add too much milk you may make it extremely difficult to bring it back when you add powdered sugar.
Buy fresh ingredients and quality equipment for your kitchen on the Jiji app