Tapioca is a popular breakfast food that is enjoyed by millions of people around the world. As always, Nigerians have their own way of making this product shine. Wondering how to make tapioca pudding for your whole family? Here is a step-by-step guide.
Buy high-quality meals and drinks for your kitchen on Jiji
Obviously, the main ingredient of tapioca pudding is the tapioca. But what else do you need to recreate the delicate and comforting taste and flavour of the classic tapioca pudding? Here is everything you need to make two servings of tapioca pudding:
Read more: How To Make Basmati Fried Rice
- Raw tapioca – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Dairy milk – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – to taste
- Shredded coconut – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
One of the best things about tapioca pudding is that this dish can be easily customized according to your preferences. If you are not a big fan of vanilla flavour, you can substitute it for any other flavour or simply omit it from your recipe. The same goes for cinnamon and coconut, which can be substituted or left out.
2. How to make tapioca pudding
Ready to delight your family with a pot of hot tapioca pudding? Follow these steps:
Read more: How To Make Suya Spice
- Put the raw tapioca granules into a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak until the granules become soft and grow in size.
- Pour the coconut milk into a pot and put it on the stove on low heat. Add the tapioca granules and the vanilla extract; mix well. Bring up to a boil, stirring frequently, and allow to cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- As the tapioca pudding cooks, you will notice it changing its texture to creamy. However, if your tapioca granules were big, you will also see clumps forming in the pudding. If you cannot stand clumps, you can use your stirring spoon to break them down.
- Coconut milk is thicker and denser than dairy milk, which is why there is always a possibility your tapioca pudding will start sticking to the surface of the pan. To avoid it, remember to stir the pudding continuously and make the heat as low as possible.
- When the tapioca pudding is almost ready, add the dairy milk, the sugar, and the cinnamon. Stir well and allow the mixture to cook for a couple of minutes for the pudding to absorb the flavour and for the sugar and milk to caramelize.
- Take the pot with tapioca pudding off the heat and transfer it into two bowls. Sprinkle the pudding with shredded coconut, grated nuts, other favourite toppings, or leave the tapioca pudding as it is to enjoy its original texture and flavour.
Read more: How To Make Pounded Yam With A Blender
Stock your kitchen with fresh food and quality tools from the Jiji app