A hair fascinator is a fabulous accessory that is equally popular among fashionistas, celebrities, and royalty. A great idea to make your fascinator stand out is to make it yourself from the incredibly popular Nigerian fabric – Ankara. Here is how to make your own Ankara hair fascinator.
No time to make your own fascinator? Shop hundreds of affordable and beautiful fascinators on Jiji!
1. What you’ll need
The DIY lesson on how to make a fascinator you’re about to see is one of the easiest ones to try. Even if you have little to no DIY experience, you can easily expect to do this project in just about 20 minutes and with no hard work. This is what you will need to make your first Ankara fascinator:
Read more: How To Make Ankara Bags
- Ankara fabric of your choice
- Gum stay fabric
- A piece of cardboard
- Net with a hair pin
- Craft knife
Perhaps, the two most important choices you will need to make for this project is the choice of fabric and shape of your fascinator. The shape of your fascinator can be as simple or as elaborate as you want – from ovals and circles to flowers and hearts. For this project, we are going for the floral shape.
As for the fabric, the choice will be probably dictated by the outfit you want to pair your fascinator with. However, many Ankara patterns are so universal that they can be worn with pretty much any outfit. In that case, you can choose your favourite colour or pattern, or simply use the leftover Ankara pattern you have from another project.
2. How to make an Ankara fascinator
Once you have the tools and materials for your Ankara fascinator ready, follow these steps to create a lovely and unique hair accessory that will show off your incredible style:
Read more: How To Make Ankara Accessories
- Cut out the main pattern from your Ankara fabric. You can cut according to the pattern on your fabric or use a pre-made cardboard template to achieve the desired shape.
- Use the same template to cut out a piece of second fabric, making it slightly bigger than the first one.
- Using glue in the centre of the pattern, attach the first Ankara piece to a piece of cardboard. Trace the shape of the fabric with a marker and cut out with a craft knife.
- Cut out a corresponding piece of gum stay and attach it to your second piece of Ankara with a hot iron.
- Attach the second piece of Ankara to the cardboard base, wrapping the excess allowance around the base and glueing it to the base.
- Glue the first Ankara pattern to the cardboard base.
- Take the net with a hair pin and attach it to the centre of the fascinator with a dab of glue. Allow the glue to firm up. Now your new Ankara fascinator is ready to be flaunted!
Look trendy on a budget with the Jiji app