Planning a perfect wedding takes to much time and consideration that it can seem downright impossible to do it as a first-time bride or groom. Some couples prefer to hire a wedding planner, but if you want to make everything flawless on your own, here is the ultimate Nigerian wedding checklist to help you.
Find the best Nigerian wedding services on Jiji
1. 10 to 12 months before the wedding
Once you are engaged to the love of your life, your wedding planning journey begins. Here are the steps you will need to take 10 to 12 months before your dream wedding:
- Choose the date of your wedding. If you are having a traditional and a white wedding ceremony, they can be held on the same day or even a few months apart.
- Decide on your wedding budget and who is paying for the wedding. Spending your entire life savings on a wedding is not a very smart move, so you need to have a sensible budget. Here you will also need to confirm each other’s financial contributions to the wedding.
- Choose your wedding aesthetic. At this point, you need to decide on the wedding location, venue, colour scheme, and other details without booking anything yet. Pinterest and Instagram may help you.
- Create a preliminary wedding guest list. Even if you don’t know who exactly will come to your wedding, you should at least know the approximate number of guests.
- Recruit your wedding assistants. Here you will need to choose the people who will be included in your bridal party, as well as the people who will help you with the planning.
2. 7 to 9 months before the wedding
The wedding day is getting closer, but there is still plenty of time for planning. Here is what you need to do at this stage of the process:
- Choose and book your wedding venue and service. You should secure your venue, makeup artist, drivers, photographer, and other service providers several months before the big day.
- Choose and buy your wedding day outfit. Your wedding dress needs to be ready, but you need to have an opportunity to alter it if your weight changes slightly before the wedding.
- Choose and buy your wedding rings. There is no need to go for the most expensive options – silver or tungsten wedding bands are beautiful, durable, and affordable.
- Have your pre-wedding photoshoot. Decide on the photographer, the location, and the outfits, and then simply let your love shine in the pictures.
3. 4 to 6 months before the wedding
When there are only a few months left before your happiest day ever, there are some very important steps you need to take in the planning of your wedding:
- Go outfit shopping with your bridesmaids and female relatives. Don’t forget that they will need some accessories and not just the dress. You may also remember to purchase some accessories for your look.
- Create and send out the invitations. You can do it the old-school way with real cards or go the modern way and send out the invitations via email.
- Finalize the venue setting. Create a definitive guest list with a seating arrangement, and make the final decisions concerning the decorations in your wedding venue.
- Have your introduction and engagement ceremonies. The traditional marriage introduction and engagement ceremonies are an essential part of the wedding planning and usually take place at the bride’s home.
4. 1 to 3 months before the wedding
As there is less and less time for the planning, there are still some essential details to attend to:
- Discuss things with your photographer. Your photographer will want to know what kind of a wedding photoshoot you want, which outfit you will be wearing, and whether you have some specific poses and ideas you want to recreate.
- Discuss things with your DJ. The DJ will be responsible for a large chunk of the entertainment at your wedding, so you can give him the suggestions on the music you want to hear at your wedding, as well as music that you want to avoid.
- Book your honeymoon. By now, you and your significant other have probably decided on the destination and length of your honeymoon, so all you need to do is finalize it.
- Have your bridal shower and bachelor’s party. Your friends will plan those for you, but they need to know what kind of a party you have in mind.
5. Before the wedding
When there are only days left until your wedding day, you should not do any active planning anymore. Instead, you should focus on being the best version of yourself for the big date:
Read more: Covid-19 Wedding Trends You Need To Know
- Get your nails done. Manicure and pedicure are an essential step of preparing for the wedding, while it’s best not to have any facial procedures since they can cause redness and breakouts.
- Have your wedding look ready. The last thing you want on your wedding day is to run around the room, frantically trying to locate the missing veil or garter.
- Get your hair and makeup done. If your wedding takes place in the morning, you may need to get up early for that, so make sure to go to bed before 10 am the night before.
- Have breakfast. Food may not be the first thing on your mind, but going hungry to your own wedding can make you weak, irritable, or even cause headaches. Also don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
- Take a deep breath. You have done everything you could to have the wedding go over smoothly. Even if something doesn’t go according to plan, there isn’t much you can do and you all you will eventually remember from your wedding day is how happy you both were.
Buy and sell with confidence from your phone using the Jiji app