Even on their own, prints are a fantastic way to achieve a fresh look with minimal effort. If you have already tried every print in your wardrobe, you can move on to the next best thing – combining different prints in one stylish outfit. Here is everything you need to know about rocking mixed prints!
Shop clothing for every taste and budget on Jiji
1. 10 tips for mixing prints
You may think that combining different prints in one outfit is as easy as pulling two random items from your wardrobe and putting them on, but in reality, this process needs a little more work from you. These 10 tips will help you create a stunning mixed print outfit every time!
Read more: Animal Print Fashion Styles You Will Love
- Choose similar or close shades to tell a complete story with your look: for example, blue prints work best with blue and grey materials.
- Centre your outfit around a neutral piece. For example, if you are wearing a top and a skirt from a different pattern family, complete the look with a solid-coloured jacket.
- Play with pattern scales. This may be a tricky one, but if you manage to find two pieces with the same pattern but in a different scale, you will be rewarded with a top-notch look.
- Add a belt. If your outfit consists of a skirt and a blouse in two different prints, breaking up the outfit with a belt will make your look stand out.
- Invert colours in the same pattern. Patterns like polka dots, stripes, and plaid come in all kinds of colours, so you will have no problem finding, for example, a black skirt with white stripes and a white blouse with black stripes.
- Choose a dominating print. It can be rather challenging to create a stylish outfit where two prints play the same major role. Choosing a bigger piece with a dominating print will bring the balance to your look.
- Use stripes more often. Even though stripes are technically a print, many modern fashionistas treat striped patterns as neutral. It means that you can combine stripes with pretty much any striking pattern.
- Patterns don’t just come as prints on fabric! If you own a leather skirt with perforation, you can consider it to be patterned and wear with other prints.
- There are many blouses, dresses, and skirts that already combine two prints. You can make them the centre of your outfit or add a third print to add more style to your look.
- Neutrals work best with colourful prints. A white blouse with black polka dots can be successfully worn with pretty much any print you have in your wardrobe.
2. Mixed print styles
Looking for new ideas on how to combine prints in your everyday style? These 10 fashion styles will give you the much-needed inspiration!
Read more: Plain And Pattern Ankara Styles 2018
Counting all the patterns used in this dress may be an impossible challenge, but the whole thing works like a charm.
The two prints used in the next dress come from a similar colour family but are different enough to create an interesting look.
Keeping the rest of the dress neutral and letting the bodice stand out with three different prints is a clever way to highlight your best features.
This dress is not only fitted perfectly, but also combines two different prints in a very exquisite manner.
The black polka dots on a white background are such a universal print that this skirt looks like a perfect addition to it.
Here is an example of how an inverted print works wonders: black and white have never looked so exciting before!
When you use two prints with the same colour scheme, you add so much elegance to your look that it can be worn to the most important events.
Want to make your favourite Ankara patterns stand out? Use them with a solid background!
The cute cut of this dress, along with the fun and summery print colours, make it one of the best outfits we have seen this year.
Even when the two prints shouldn’t work together in theory, you can still rock a gorgeous outfit if you feel confident enough.
Upgrade your wardrobe on a budget with the Jiji app